Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade ilife08 and iwork08 to latest version?

I'd like to upgrade to the latest versions of iPhoto, Keynote etc - the programmes originally installed on my iMac when I bought it.

So far I've only been able to find out that I can download the individual products from the Mac App Store (at about £10+ a pop!).

It's not clear if this would upgrade my current version of iPhoto and take, for examples, the photos that are already in there across to the new version, or be a seperate programme on my Mac.

2 questions:

1) can I download a "bundle" package (latest iLife and iWork) rather than individual programmes as a "cost-saving measure"?

2) what will happen to my existing files that are currently in the old software, photos in iPhoto 08, Music tracks in Garageband etc, for example?

Thanks anyone who can help!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 12:23 PM

3 replies

Sep 26, 2014 12:32 PM in response to nixchambers

The iWork apps are free with a new iOS device since 1 SEP 2013. They are free with a new Mac since 1 OCT 2013. They are also free with the upgrade to OS X Mavericks 10.9 if you had the previous version installed when you upgraded.

iWork and iLife for Mac come free with every new Mac purchase. Existing users running Mavericks can update their apps for free from the Mac App Store℠. iWork and iLife for iOS are available for free from the App Store℠ for any new device running iOS 7, and are also available as free updates for existing users. GarageBand for Mac and iOS are free for all OS X Mavericks and iOS 7 users. Additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available for a one-time in-app purchase of $4.99 for each platform.

You would need to meet the qualifications to get the software for free, otherwise, you need to purchase the upgrades. iLife came free with your computer. If your computer came with installer discs, then you have to restore iLife from those discs.

Sep 26, 2014 12:48 PM in response to nixchambers

1) can I download a "bundle" package (latest iLife and iWork) rather than individual programmes as a "cost-saving measure"?

You could try to save on he iLife bundle by trying to find an 'iLife '11 installer box at Amazon or eBay. The iLife apps can be updated using the apple Software update page. The advantage would be, that you could get GarageBand '11 this way. With Mavericks installed you can only download the newest GarageBand 10.0 from the AppStore, that does not support all features the earlier GarageBand versions had.

Check, if the iLife '11 box would be more economic for you.

The newest GarageBand 10 is free with Mavericks, but requires an in-app purchase.

2) what will happen to my existing files that are currently in the old software, photos in iPhoto 08, Music tracks in Garageband etc, for example?

The new versions of iPhoto will need to upgrade your iPhoto Library to a new format. If your current version is iPhoto '08 or earlier, run the iPhoto Library Upgrader first (see: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader).

The new version of GarageBand can open your old GarageBand projects, but will create upgraded copies. GarageBand 10.0, that you can buy for free from the AppStore is only 64bit and may not support older Audio Interfaces or audio units. Check any third-party audio software for upgrades, before you upgrade to GarageBand 10.0.,see: GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unexpected behavior with Audio Units plug-ins

Sep 26, 2014 2:35 PM in response to nixchambers

There is no downloadable "bundle" pcckage

You need iPhoto '11 version 9.5.x for iPhoto - it is a $15.00 purchase in the App store - if you purchases an iLife '11 DVD from Amazon or eBay and install iPhoto '11 then version 9.5.1 is a free update - I have no idea about the upgraded for iWorks or other iLife programs but I suspect that at least for iLife purchasing the upgraded you want will be the most economical

And you do need to install and run the iPhoto library upgraded prior to launching iPhoto

Every new program will upgrade your data as needed - But always make a backup prior to upgrading in case of a problem - they are rare but do happen

LN

upgrade ilife08 and iwork08 to latest version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.