Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad backup: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766?viewlocale=en_US

I was sent a link on how to backup my iPad during a Genius Bar appointment in anticipation of upgrading the OS on my iPad2 from 4.3.

Not having an iCloud account, I need to use the iTunes method below:

Back up

To back up the content on your iOS device, use these steps:

1. Make sure your computer has the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Connect your iOS device to your computer.
  3. Choose File > Devices > Back up.
    If you're using iTunes 10.7 or earlier, right-click the device and choose Backup Now.

First, I boot my iMac and launch Software update and it tells me everything is up to date. I power up the iPad and then plug it into the usb port via the charge cable and it gets power from the iMac. I open the file menu but 'Devices' is not a menu item on the file menu.

The iMac pops up a message saying I can download or update the software on the iPad to 8 point something, but the software and data has never been backed up and I was told I need to back it up first during my Genius Bar appointment.

iMac, Some version of OS X Don't know

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 12:55 PM

8 replies

Sep 26, 2014 12:59 PM in response to jwelz

To update an IOS device using your iMac this is done via iTunes. You have to open iTunes in order to begin the rpocess, this is fully explained in:

iOS: Syncing your data with iTunes

To find out what version of OS X is installed on your computer, click the Apple symbol in the upper left of the display and select About this Mac and it will tell you what version of OS X is currently installed.

Sep 26, 2014 1:23 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you: I had a look at the article you linked but, this one refers to synch and not backup. I will try opening iTunes first and see if I can get the backup going. I determined that the iMac is running OS X 10.6.8.

On another note, my wife has previously connected her iPhone 5 for synch through her iTunes account on this iMac. The iPad will be on my iTunes account. I told the fellow at the Genius Bar about the separate accounts and he said I'd get an option to add a new account. Fingers crossed....

Sep 26, 2014 2:12 PM in response to rkaufmann87

OK: I got an option to 'Backup' and it ran for a couple minutes. It prompted me about transferring purchases, but I wanted them left on the iPad and not transferred off. There was another prompt as well which I declined. I guess I probably need the purchases and apps off if I'm going to put them back on a new iOS updated iPad. I chose 'Backup' again and this time, when prompted to allow transferring purchases, it asked to authorize the computer. I thought it was already authorized, but then, perhaps it's referring to the iPad, since it filled in my iTunes account email.

In any event, it authorized the 'computer' with a confirmation pop up, but then popped messages saying 'You do not have enough access privileges for this operation' referencing what I presume is the iMac. Maybe it's the iPad. Maybe it's because I backed up before authorizing the 'computer'

What I learned is, the instructions provided on the Apple support web site assume more than I know and, although I chose 'Backup', the progress indicator stated it was 'Synching'. Then why are there separate instructions for backup and synching?

I've made another Genius Bar appointment for next week. This is my iMac and I have full privileges.

Sep 26, 2014 3:06 PM in response to jwelz

When you sync an IOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod) it first backs it up and then syncs it with the computer. Or you can simply back it up. Transferred does not mean they leave the iPad, they are transferred (really copied) to the Mac.

If you need to, you should call AppleCare, if your computer isn't covered any longer then there will be a charge but it may be worth it.

Sep 26, 2014 5:06 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the clarification. I poked around Google a bit more for the differences between synch and backup and there appears to be a great deal of confusion amongst users. It doesn't help that the official support information from Apple doesn't offer a straight forward explanation of what each does and doesn't do. In fact, the usage is conflated. This strikes me as fairly fundamental.

The terms 'transfer' and 'copy' have radically different meanings and it is unfortunate that an incorrect term is used in the software prompts. From what I read, I'm not the only one misled by the terminology. Perhaps they could have called it 'iTransfer' to distinguish it from English. Does anyone know if the problem extends to other language versions of OSX?

The iMac is long past AppleCare expiration. I'll give it a reboot and try again as it might recognize the new 'computer' authorization if it's there at startup. Then it's back to the Genius Bar in 4 days. This time I'll bring the iMac. I'll post what happens...

Oct 1, 2014 7:46 AM in response to jwelz

At the Genius Bar I was directed to create a new log in account for the iMac in order to separate the iTunes accounts between myself and my spouse. The backup/transfer/synch apparently took place since it had a progress bar and indicated that it was transferring and copying content. When it got to the point of installing the updated iOS, it automatically started a new backup/transfer/synch. I don't understand why I needed to spend an extra hour doing this, but there was no option to skip the step.

The 'Genius' who was helping helped several others during the process but was going off shift so he told me he would have someone else check on me. No one ever did, but eventually, the iMac reported that the iPad had the upgraded iOS installed. The iPad prompted for set up asking for a WiFi password, but, as it was after closing time, despite the 50 odd people milling about the store, I decided to pack up and continue at home.

At home, I connected to my WiFi and chose a language and the device prompted me as to whether I wanted to restore from backup. I did, so I logged the iMac into my new account, plugged in the iPad, fired up iTunes and launched the restore.

It gave me a progress bar with multiple steps and got about 70% of 4 of the 4 steps, reporting apps and music as it proceeded, and I left it overnight. This morning, I fired up the iPad, still connected to the iMac, and it prompted me for a WiFi network and password again. Then it asked me whether I wanted to set up the iPad or restore from a backup; again.

What I'd like is to get the music and apps back on the iPad. Maybe that's not a restore, but I mentally associate backup with restore and thought that was the purpose of the backup before upgrading the iOS.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll try restoring again, after all, I had to back it up twice. Maybe you need to restore twice.

Do I need to find iTunes support, iPad support, iOS support or stay with Mac support now before I make another Genius Bar appointment?

iPad backup: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766?viewlocale=en_US

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.