Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 Battery Drain Bug (Found ?)

I have a iphone 6 - 128gb model with T-Mobile as the carrier. To put it nicely the battery life of my iphone is PATHETIC!!!!! After turning the nice screen to 50% brightness and disabling about every feature I paid for on this phone here is what I get: With the phone turned on and the home page sitting idle - wi-fi on, my phone will drop 14-16% in 20 minutes. I can literally watch it go down 1% in little over a minute. I have spent hours reset from new etc.. and it still has the issue so I am going to go to the Apple store and demand a replacement.

Anyhow, in trying to find the source of the problem I discovered what MY biggest source of the battery drain. It is the "Wi-fi calling" feature. It does not have to be being used it kills my battery even at idle.. Turned off I may still loose 3-5% in 20 minutes but FAR, FAR less. Also my phone does not heat up with this disabled.

I posted this in case anyone else is experiencing the same issue, and needs a phone that they can actually unplug from the charger.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 1:04 PM

44 replies

Aug 17, 2017 12:17 AM in response to svenpav

Same critical issue with my iPhone 6 64GB. Battery draining even on Standby mode with wifi OFF. Also iPhone6 badly HEATING.Background app refresh off. After updating to latest iOS 10.3.3 still same issue. Apple denying of owning this issue. As per Apple store Battery health is fine but some of the apps draining battery, don't know who is responsible if its not APPLE.

We hope Apple will resolve this problem.

Sep 29, 2014 7:36 AM in response to albertofromnewhall

Wi-fi calling is definitely a HUGE drain for me, but even with it turned off, the battery life is poor.

I would not pay too much attention to that new battery usage page in ios8 - in my opinion it seems very poorly designed. It does not actually tell you what is draining the battery, just what app or screen is on top when the drain is occurring. Try this, open your messages, calendar or even a blank notepad up and it will appear that it is doing the drain when it is not. Worthless. I think Apple is trying to give Microsoft some competition for broken bloatware! RIP Mr. Jobs, we miss you!

Sep 29, 2014 8:09 AM in response to svenpav

i agree i think iOS 8 is just software that needs a lot of fixing to do.

i was just talking to an apple rep and they told me that when i recovered my phone from my iCloud backup their was some apps that where eating up my battery i asked him which apps and he told me that my whole backup seemed to have been corrupted and not loaded correctly and told me to restore my whole phone and set it up as new so I'm going to try that and see how it goes.

Sep 30, 2014 6:54 AM in response to albertofromnewhall

Well, after more trail and error and reading other sites it seems like my issue is Wi-fi related - whether it is hardware or software I don't know. I noticed when on my home wireless my drain is minimal in comparison , but at my office it drains extremely fast.

At home I am using a 802.11 "N" router - drain is about 6% per hour - screen on - phone not being used

At work I am using a 802.11 "G" router and my drain is about 45% per hour - screen on - phone not being used

I think my OS either has bad hardware of Apple needs to re-write their wireless drivers for the "G" protocol.

My appointment with the Apple geeks is today so I am going to ask for a new phone and see how it goes.

Hope this clue may help.

Sep 30, 2014 1:52 PM in response to albertofromnewhall

Well I went to the "genius bar" and the apple kid did their faulty diagnostic test on my phone and arrived at the solution that my home screen sitting idle at 60% brightness was the problem. he then informed me that the phone won't last 2:30 minutes with the screen on, sooooo, when I asked him to explain why apple specifies up to 11 hours of internet surfing or video playback he was stumped and told me my phone is working as it was designed. He would not swap it for another one and said may still be able to return the phone to T-Mobile if I did not like it.

Great Job Apple!

Did you ever get to doing a fresh install? I was also wondering if you might be on a 802.11G wifi when you are having this issue.

Sep 30, 2014 10:01 PM in response to svenpav

AAlright everyone I did the restore and I've been with it for a couple of days and I have noticed something I have wifi calling off and since doing the restore and keeping wifi calling off my battery has improved I have to say. Currently my battery is at 40% and usage is 5 hours 2 minutes and standby is 8 hours 2 minutes I don't know if that's good or not?

BBut to me it still seems not good or how Apple advertises the battery to be.

PRetty dissapointed /:

Oct 1, 2014 10:58 AM in response to albertofromnewhall

I found another thread here that discovered that the phone drops the wi-fi calling when the phone is asleep, so that is why it takes a few seconds to appear after you awake the phone.

Wi-Fi and Apples wi-fi drivers are broken. If anyone is having this same issue just turn your wifi calling off and see if it clears up the problem. Type "G" routers are another problem as well.

If this is you don't waste your time listening to the Geniuses and re installing everything on your phone as "new" it does not help. remember these are the same Geniuses that told you all you had to do when upgrading was to restore your phone from backup and it would be the same as new.

Here is the other thread if interested:

iPhone 6 Wifi Calling Problems (T-Mobile)

Iphone 6 Battery Drain Bug (Found ?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.