Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcuts still missing after ios 8.2

My keyboard shortcuts are still missing after the update. does anyone have a fix to bring them back? if I restart my phone, they reappear, after about 4 mins they disappear. frustrating.... Help APPLE!!!!!!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 1:25 PM

33 replies

Oct 1, 2014 4:47 PM in response to cnourie

susanfromcarlsbad wrote:

Easiest fix, I read all these posts! Rebooted the phone too many times! Turned the cloud off and on and you ready for how simple this is?

Go to settings>>general>>>keyboards. Slide all the 6 sliders(the one ones lit up green to off), THEN slide on again!! No reboot!

Keyboard is back! Worked for me!

Susan, You must be a lucky one. Tried it, did NOT work for me! 😟

cnourie wrote:

My keyboard shortcuts are still missing after the update. does anyone have a fix to bring them back? if I restart my phone, they reappear, after about 4 mins they disappear. frustrating.... Help APPLE!!!!!!

Same here. iOS Keyboard Shortcuts have been coming and going since the iOS 8 update.

Like you, I backup my iPad Air to a Mac, not iCloud.

Keyboard Shortcuts often show up in Settings.. General.. Keyboard.. Shortcuts.. but they often do not work. Not in the Notes app, not in Mail, etc... Even when they do show up in the list, they often don't work.

My keyboard shortcuts were disappearing and reappearing, daily or hourly, reliable about 50% of the time since iOS 8 update. Then I did the 8.0.2 update and enabled iCloud Drive as others have suggested. Since iOS 8.0.2, no shortcuts working at all on my iPad Air. Tried several workarounds posted, none have worked yet. Really frustrating, now gone for days.

Seems to be a random iCloud problem affecting certain users.

More here:

Re: Keyboard shortcut problems in iPhone 5S with iOS 8 update

Oct 3, 2014 1:04 PM in response to Axeman1020

Settings > iCloud > Documents & Data >

That no longer exists if you are using iCloud Drive.

Some had suggested turning iCloud Drive on and off ... tried it yesterday, but that did not help with my iPad Air.

Nope. My iPad keyboard shortcuts do (sometimes) show up in settings.. general.. keyboard.. shortcuts.. but none of them work.

Tried the above. No joy.

This seems to be a completely random and intermittent bug in iCloud or iOS.

Some of the workarounds may seem to work for little while, but then the problem comes back within hours or days.

Oct 13, 2014 9:59 AM in response to Axeman1020

I had a genius bar appointment on this topic on Saturday. The genius told me that because iOS 8 now allows custom keyboards, that now keyboard shortcuts are device specific and can no longer sync between devices. I am very upset about this. Is there a way to petition Apple to correct this bad decision about usability? My keyboard shortcuts are specific to me, not what device I'm using.

Oct 13, 2014 10:47 AM in response to velodougMV

I am not so sure this is completely true.

All my shortcuts seem to be intact.

Did you turn on iCloud Drive?

If so all your other devices will need to be on iOS 8 with iCloud Drive enabled to sync and if you have a Mac, it will not sync until you upgrade to Yosemite (OS X 10.10) after it is released. iCloud Drive will not sync with iOS 7 (or earlier) and Mavericks (or earlier).

iCloud Drive FAQ

You can leave Apple feedback here.

Keyboard shortcuts still missing after ios 8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.