Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install 8.0.2 because iCloud restore won't complete

Been trying to restore from iCloud backup for 4 days. Apple replaced my iPhone 5 due to a defective camera. They told me it would finish restoring after a few hours. It's been 4 days and it still claims it is trying to restore. I can't install 8.0.2 until it finishes the restore from Monday. I've tried turning it off and on a few times. I can't see what files it's still trying to download. Apps, Music, and Pictures appear to have downloaded ok. Been on wireless most of the time. Any suggestions? I guess I could just stop the Restore, but I'm hesitant to do that in case that messes something else up. It also won't backup again until Restore stops.

Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 1:46 PM

7 replies

Sep 30, 2014 5:40 AM in response to jason269

I just received my iPhone 6+ and I'm having the same issue. It's been restoring from iCloud backup for approximately 16 hours now.

I upgraded from an iPhone 5.

Any advice what to do? Should I start from scratch one more time or let it run for a longer period of time.

I can't update to 8.02 either because of the iCloud restore.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Sep 30, 2014 7:36 AM in response to foxstop

I talked with an Apple tech online, and he told me I could stop the restore if I was sure I had all of the files I wanted on my phone. I knew I had all of my apps and pictures, all the music I cared about--plus I could always put that back on from my computer if I wanted to. So I just went into Settings and went to the Backup screen and clicked on Stop Restore. After that iOS 8.02 started installing. I didn't have any other problems after that.

The tech did tell me that it could take days to do a full restore if you had quite a lot on your phone. And if you go in and out of wireless it slows it down.

Dec 1, 2014 8:33 PM in response to Alo26

Have you plugged the iphone up to charge? It won't do an update if the battery is less that 70%. My phone had same problem. The "Install Now" under General> Software Update was grayed out and down under the Slide to Unlock on screen it said "restoring from icloud" . As soon as I plugged it up and the battery was higher than 70%, the "Install Now" turned blue so I could tap it. New update worked.

Can't install 8.0.2 because iCloud restore won't complete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.