Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to know if iPhone 6 Plus is using 802.11ac Wi-Fi?

Hi there,

I have an iPhone 6 Plus (64GB White/Silver). I also have an Apple TimeCapsule with 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

How can you tell if the iPhone 6 Plus is using the 802.11ac connection? My Wi-Fi connection seems no faster on the 6 plus than it did on my 5s.

The attached picture is a speedtest. This test produced a good speed, but often the speed is less than half this and the loadding of content is often Lagg.

Does my phone or TimeCapsule have a fault? How can I find out for certain?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 3:56 PM

8 replies

Sep 26, 2014 4:12 PM in response to ConvertedAppleFan

For some reason I can't see your images. But for networking between two devices on the same LAN you'd see a speed increase with AC but not off the internet which is much slower. In other words transferring files between computers on you home network you'll have a faster transfer speed but off the internet speed is still limited by your internet connection speed.

Sep 26, 2014 4:34 PM in response to pogster

The 1st picture shows a download speed of 116.30Mbps and an upload speed of 11.45Mbps.

The 2nd picture shows a download speed of 30.15Mbps and an upload speed of 11.48Mbps.

My Internet service is provided by Virgin Media in the UK and is Fibre Optic providing speeds of up to 125Mbps.

Both tests were performed in the same room, about 5 minutes apart from each other. The speed is dramatically different as you can see 😟

Sep 28, 2014 7:10 PM in response to pogster

iphone 6, ios 8.0.2

Aruba 225 management reports the widest channel the phone is willing to negotiate is 40Mhz in 5ghz range this is bonded 802.11n, not 802.11ac which should be @80Mhz.

In most cases this is immaterial as local flash & cpu will never be able to process data fast enough for this to become an issue; it would, however, be nice to get what is being paid for... or is this another bug (in bug free) apple's software?

Sep 28, 2014 9:33 PM in response to pogster

A concepts of rhetoric question, evidently, escaped you. With Jobs being gone, so is the quality. Bent phones , two iOS releades in a week, and never mind other minor engineering issues. Don't get me wrong here, I habe the phone, and I do like it. I just wish Apple woul stop outsourcing development to India, make $20 less per phone and get some quality back

Oct 21, 2014 6:13 PM in response to lariva

Where's your evidence Apple outsources anything to India? Who told you Apple software was "bug free"? iPhones don't bend unless you apply a tremendous amount of pressure; those videos have been faked or manipulated.

As for quality, you might want to go back and look at your post…

"A concepts of rhetoric question, evidently, escaped you."

Doesn't make sense.

"With Jobs being gone, so is the quality. Bent phones , two iOS releades in a week, and never mind other minor engineering issues."

Very poor spelling, incorrect use of punctuation.

"Don't get me wrong here, I habe the phone, and I do like it. I just wish Apple woul stop outsourcing development to India, make $20 less per phone and get some quality back"

Poor spelling, baseless accusations, missing punctuation.

Nov 9, 2014 2:02 AM in response to ConvertedAppleFan

I was wondering about this as well. I've got a 300/20 pipe and it seemed really slow on my iPhone 6 Plus. I ran the same speediest as you and received 280+/25+ on both of my 802.11ac Macs, but only 20/20 on my iPhone. I hopped into Airport Utility and changed the WiFi settings to use a 5Ghz network name (Wireless -> "Wireless Options"). When I joined the 5Ghz network and ran the test on my phone it came out to 120/25. That's not nearly as fast as it should have been, but is several times faster than it was.

How to know if iPhone 6 Plus is using 802.11ac Wi-Fi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.