Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail doesn't push to iPhone6

Just upgraded from 4s to 6. I cant get Gmail to push to the phone. Emails show up only when manually checking. Any ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 10:04 PM

15 replies

Jan 29, 2017 12:23 AM in response to joszee

Since the only options for Gmail (under Settings, Mail, Accounts, Fetch New Data, Gmail) are Fetch and Manually, I've selected Fetch, and then (still in the Fetch New Data screen) at the bottom there are different Fetching options you can choose from. There is Every 15 minutes, Every 30, Every hour or Manual. I've selected Every 15 minutes, and this way it automatically checks the email every 15 minutes and sends me notifications when I received a new email.

Jan 29, 2017 8:17 AM in response to Rapdor

Rapdor wrote:

Since the only options for Gmail (under Settings, Mail, Accounts, Fetch New Data, Gmail) are Fetch and Manually, I've selected Fetch, and then (still in the Fetch New Data screen) at the bottom there are different Fetching options you can choose from. There is Every 15 minutes, Every 30, Every hour or Manual. I've selected Every 15 minutes, and this way it automatically checks the email every 15 minutes and sends me notifications when I received a new email.

The workaround some people use is to install the Gmail app and turn on the notifications. You can still read the email through the built in Mail app is you prefer (personally, I think the Gmail app is an improvement. Even better is Gmail's Inbox) but, as the Gmail app does support push, you'll get the notifications immediately.

Sep 28, 2014 12:33 PM in response to Wolfgang S.

Wolfgang S. wrote:

Sorry but I get a signal and banner on the lock screen wenn a new mail arrives.

What you're seeing is not relevant to the OP, as you've indicated that you're using the Gmail app whereas the OP is using the standard iOS Mail app (and Gmail account profile).

The iOS Mail app does not support Push for Gmail, never has (unless you set it up as an Exchange account, but that is no longer possible). The iOS Mail app will show a banner when new Gmail arrives, but only according to the user's Fetch schedule in Settings.

Dec 17, 2014 5:16 PM in response to KITT2010

KITT2010 wrote:

So is there a fix for this?

Google chose to disable push for the iOS Mail app. Your option, if you want to push is to use the Gmail app. What some people do is put the Gmail app on their phone so that they get the notifications immediately but continue to use the Mail app for actually reading their email. I believe some of the third party mail apps such as Mailbox may also have push for Gmail but I'm not sure. I've been using the Gmail app for a long time and find it quite satisfactory.

Best of luck.

Gmail doesn't push to iPhone6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.