Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6+ 64Gb, actual memory is just 55.6Gb

I have a Iphone 6+ 64Gb, the iphone reports a total capacity of just 55.6Gb memory.

Where are the lost 8.4 GB used for, or is this a hardware failure?.

I use 10.9 Gb the iphone reports 44.7 Gb as available.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Cees

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 6:41 AM

iOS takes up some space, plus whatever apps that came already installed. Thats normal.

39 replies

Oct 3, 2014 10:34 AM in response to ceeslans

Hi I just got the 128 6 plus my capacity is 114 my available space is 110. I upgraded to 8.0.2 after I open my phone now my available space is 109. I lost one gb just from upgrading to iOS 8.0.2. How is possible Apple takes 19gb away from my phone I know the apps n ios 8 don't take up 19gb because how else would they sell a 16gb phone. Can sound please explain. Also last night after backing up my phone I had 74gb this morning I woke up to 70gb.

Oct 3, 2014 11:39 AM in response to Amunoz23

Part of the storage you see not there is also empty. Its saved for future IOS updates since alot of people in the past have has issues with not enough storage to update. You have alot of space free so I wouldnt worry about it. Maybe if you get very low it will let you use it. Dont know how many people have used up that much space.

Oct 3, 2014 11:46 AM in response to Amunoz23

Apple Wrote wrote:

Capacity stated on product packaging

Storage device manufacturers measure capacity using the decimal system (base 10), so 1 gigabyte (GB) is calculated as exactly 1,000,000,000 bytes. The capacity of the storage media in your Mac, iPad, iPod, iPhone and other Apple hardware is measured using this decimal system. This is detailed on product packaging and online through the statement "1 GB = 1 billion bytes."

Understanding storage capacity in iPad, iPhone, iPod

When you view the storage capacity of your iPod, iPhone, iPad, or other electronic devices within its operating system, the capacity is reported using the the binary system (base 2) of measurement. In binary, 1 GB is calculated as 1,073,741,824 bytes.

For example: The way decimal and binary numeral systems measure a GB is what causes a 32 GB storage device to appear as approximately 28 GB when detailed by its operating system, even though the storage device still has 32 billion bytes (not 28 billion bytes), as reported.

You can see this difference if you look at how your computer summarizes the capacity of your iPod, iPad, or iPhone’s storage when the device is connected to your computer. You will also see this difference in the About menu on your iPod, iPad, or iPhone. The important point to understand is that the available storage capacity is the same no matter which system (decimal or binary) is used. Nothing is missing.

The storage media in your Apple product, like all storage devices, uses some of its capacity for formatting, so actual capacity available for applications and files will be less. In addition, other factors, such as pre-installed systems or other software and media, will also use part of the available storage capacity.

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

Oct 4, 2014 1:04 AM in response to Phil0124

I understand what a GB is, and how to calculate it to MB and KB. I also understand companies use the storage that the customer pays for, for their software which doesn't really seem fair. I would like to believe that after someone pays $1000 for a phone that they would receive 128gb of actual usable storage, and apple would add their own storage for their OS, but that's another topic ( Apple if your reading I think this would be a great selling point because no other company that I know of does it, "the amount of storage the customer pays for is the amount that they actually have available to use"). What I don't seem to understand is how does my phone that is an iPhone 6 + 128gb is missing 14gb just after i opened my phone. The 64gb has 8.4gb being used by apple and I'm sure that the iphone with 16gb can't possibly take the same amount of storage because the phone will only have 8gb left and this is without adding any personal information. I would like to understand why the 128gb has 14gb being use by apple instead of 8 like in the 64gb or less like in the 16gb. To my knowledge the 128gb does not include more features and does not have a better processor. So why isn't the same amount of storage being use on each phone? If the operating system is the same why does the amount of storage being use by apple change for every phone? Also when I opened my phone it said 114gb capacity and the amount available was 110gb. That is a 18gb difference and that is 10gb more than the 64gb. Also after I upgraded to 8.0.2 my storage available was 109gb, and i doubt that the small upgrade would take 1GB of storage. My girlfriend bought the iphone 6 128 and after she upgraded to 8.0.2 she still had 110gb. After I backed up my phone I had 74gb left when i checked my phone in the morning it said I had 70gb of storage left which is strange considering the phone was not being use while I slept. I'm also having problems with my WiFi, and some other features but I'll leave those for another day. Thanks for the help.

Oct 5, 2014 7:12 PM in response to Amunoz23

You clearly did not read what I posted. The support document I linked to does not tell you how to calculate gigabytes, it tells you exactly why there is a difference between the advertised capacity, and the actual capacity on the device.

This difference applies to any product you buy that has storage capacity measured in bytes.

The amount of storage being used does not change. What changes is the amount of actual storage vs advertised storage.

if you had read what I posted you'd see that there is a .073 gigabyte difference between 1GB of advertised storage and 1GB of actual atorage or about 7%. This means that for every 1GB of advertised storage you will have .073 GB less of actual physical storage. An 8GB device will have a smaller difference than a 128GB device. As 7% of 8 is much less than 7% of 128.

Again I suggest you read what I posted closely.

In the end the amount of advertised storage space for any device will always be more that the actual physical storage It has.

Tis hat is just the way it works. You are not being robbed. Your device does have 128 billion bytes. It's just that 128 billion bytes is not exactly 128GB.

Nov 25, 2014 1:53 PM in response to Phil0124

I understand what you wrote and I know it is a norm for the industry to use 2 different metric to calculate the storage. But, I guess the question really is why use two different standard to calculate the storage on the very same device. It confuses people, especially non technical ones and if it wasn't for that you wont have all the discussion to begin with. You either have both the box and phone to say 64gb or both say 55gb.

Jan 6, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Phil0124

The 1.073.741.824 bytes they state as being the actual value of a GB doesn't add up to what the memory size ought to be. Doing some rough math you come up to 1/1.074 by exaggeration (you loose more space with this approximation) that adds up to a factor of roughly 0,93 which would be 93% of the actual advertised space.

So the memory values we should have marked as capacity under info are:

On 16GB - 14GB

On 64GB - 59GB

On 128GB - 119GB

The accurate memory values are as follows:

16 GB 14.90116
64 GB 59.60464
128 GB 119.2093

So either apple is showing capacity as the real memory value minus de IOS8 requirements or we are all being duped

My recently bought 64GB iphone shows a capacity of 56.0GB which would mean that either the IOS8 has roughly 3.6GB of required space (for future updates and actual software) or we are not being told the whole story.

I also understand that different memory units of the same apparent size may vary slightly but that's supposedly why we are buying a premium product, to prevent big fluctuations and guarantee quality.

I would like to have this explained in detail now that we have the numbers out of the way

Iphone 6+ 64Gb, actual memory is just 55.6Gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.