Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.0.2 Update - Stuck in recovery mode

Dear Apple,

You have launched a new operating system for the iPhone. It had bugs, you fixed the bugs and released a new version, it had more bugs. You then released another version (8.0.2) and this has completely removed all of the data on my iPhone.

I can not express to you how important the photos are that have been lost from my iPhone. Can you please tell me how to get my iPhone out of recovery mode without losing those photos?

This is extremely disappointing and given this has been known for at least 24 hours you should be taking your second update down to prevent any other users being as distraught as I am. To put in perspective I lost some priceless photos from my sister's wedding.

A resolution to my problem and a thorough debug of your next release is all I ask of from one of the world's largest and cash rich companies.

Regards,

Mehdi

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 9:26 AM

16 replies

Sep 27, 2014 2:24 PM in response to medkashani

If the iPhone is in recovery mode, the data has already been lost. There are some programs that claim they can restore data, but I have not seen anyone here name one that worked as expected.

Unfortunately, you've learned a very hard lesson - backup your data before updating your phone, including importing the photos to your computer.

~Lyssa

Sep 27, 2014 3:31 PM in response to Lyssa

I have been very lucky indeed. I opened iPhoto and selected iCloud and all my photos were there. I have imported them to iPhoto now so are on my Mac. This has now raised the following question:

If I restore from my last back-up (17th August 2014) and turn on my iPhone will it over-ride iCloud and I lose the recent data on the iCloud or will it accept iCloud as latest and add it?

Sep 27, 2014 3:44 PM in response to medkashani

Hi Mehdi,

If you have now imported your Photo Stream photos into iPhoto, then you can sync them back to your phone after you finish restoring it from your last backup.

Restore your iOS device (see the section with this title in the link below):

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings

Once you have restored, you will see a link in the article that tells you how to set up the device using a previous backup.

Once the backup is complete, hook your device up to the Computer you sync with (if it is not already hooked up and showing in iTunes), and click on the device to display the Device Profile screens to the right of the sidebar. Click on the Photos tab, and you will see the option to Sync "Selected Events, Albums, etc." Once you select that option, go to the list of Albums and Events below that and select the Albums or Events that you want to sync back to the device.

Check all of the other tabs to make sure you have them set up the way you want the iTunes library items sync'd, and then click on "Sync" or "Apply" to sync to the device.

One other tip. In iPhoto, if you click on iPhoto>Preferences>Photo Stream, you can select options to automatically import your Photo Stream photos so you know that they are always imported to your iPhoto Library automatically. When it does the automatic import, it labels the imports in the Events Folder like this: September 2014 Photo Stream. So they are easy to find in Events, and can then be moved into Albums if you wish:

User uploaded file

Cheers,

GB

Mar 18, 2015 10:03 PM in response to medkashani

FIXED!!!! For me anyway, and I hope for you!

So I tried to update to ios 8 and after downloading the software itunes trdiied to update my iPad 4. I recieved the error 3004 and was stuck in the "Connect to iTunes" screen and could not get out of it. Completely annoyed!

But then I remembered something from when I used to fiddle with iphones. I opened a program I had called TinyUmbrella, which can be used to force boot out of recovery mode (the "connect to itunes" screen).

My ipad was still connected to itunes and in recovery mode. I opened TinyUmbrella, selected my ipad (which was just shown by the serial number), then clicked "Exit Recovery" and BAM!!! It immediately kicked my out of the recovery screen and started my ipad back up to my home screen.

Now, my ipad was still on 7.1.3 since the update to ios 8 had failed. But I didn't care, my ipad was fully functional again just like I left it before. Thank God for TinyUmbrella! Here's the CNET link for TinyUmbrella if you need it:

http://download.cnet.com/TinyUmbrlla/3000-18545_4-75766724.html

iOS 8.0.2 Update - Stuck in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.