Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can the Video auto play or continuous play be disabled?

I want to stop the native videos app on my iPad Air (running iOS 8.0.2) from starting the next TV episode once the currently selected TV episode is over. My iPad didn't do this prior to iOS 8. Now if I fall asleep to a show the videos just keep going and going and drain the battery so I have a dead iPad in the morning. 😟

Thanks-

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 9:44 AM

25 replies

Sep 29, 2014 4:35 PM in response to Heather0223

And like I said, I wish I had the answer but I don't have any TV season series. The standalone episodes that I have on my iPad quit at the end, but I assume that it works differently if you own the whole season and have it all downloaded to the iPad.

Maybe by just keeping the discussion going, somebody that has season series will chime in and help.

Sep 29, 2014 6:12 PM in response to Demo

Well that is another odd thing, I don't have all of the episodes downloaded. I don't know if it skips to the next downloaded episode or if it just starts to stream the following episode. I have tried to figure that out when I discover the iPad video still rolling but I haven't found a way to pull up the video title while the video is playing. And when I select "Done" it just goes back to the TV show list.

All I can find online is older posts outlining how to trick Videos into continuous play. I know this seems like a small thing but my Google Foo is pretty strong and I couldn't find a single thing out there for disabling the auto play so I figured I would give the community a shot. 🙂

Oct 5, 2014 1:57 AM in response to Heather0223

I too want to stop contiguous play to the next episode when watching TV programmes in a Series. There is a worse problem that the Video App and IOS8 creates. There is no pause between programmes and if the next programme is not in the IPad's memory it immediately tries to stream from the Computer running ITunes and if it is not available then streams through the internet without asking permission even when the app is shut down and even when the IPad is turned off. The download only seems to stop when the memory is effectively full If I was in a big town with fast and unlimited downloads this would not be problem but currently being in an area with Microwave dish access with slowish download speed and 60Gb / month limit this is a serious problem. The consequence is not a flat battery as it is plugged in to charge overnight, but the IPad memory is filled to within 1 Gb of its capacity with messages staying storage full. I must say that whilst I understand the requirements of some people of pop videos being continuously played but is it beyond the wit of Apple to give us the option?

The same problem has been present in my now slightly elderly IPod. I listen to Audiobooks and the OS has contiguous play enabled on that with only a shuffle being the alternative which is really frustrating.

Only yesterday I bought two tv series and if Apple do not solve this problem soon I will seriously be looking at other platforms or not buying content other than Apps through ITunes.

Oct 17, 2014 12:07 PM in response to Heather0223

Hi Cant help only to say Im soooo happy they have brought this back they stopped it in iOS 7 and there was 100s of complaints from mums and dads that play the iPad for there children in the car and it just stopped after the first episode of peppa pig or what ever.

and Im glad apple have listened and have brought it back.

I hope for you that they listen also to the people that don't like it and put an option in the video settings to disable continuous play 🙂

so both camps are happy.

Oct 22, 2014 8:11 AM in response to bobseufert

Thanks a lot for this!!!

Almost every 3rd party video app sees the need to have continuous play a changeable setting, just Apple seems blind here.

I am in the same boat as Heather - I like to watch TV shows in bed and eventually fall asleep 😉 . Can't do that since iOS 8 as it will keep on playing the whole night.

Another way around this "feature" is the app "Infuse" as it allows access to the iTunes Media Library and offers continuous play as an option. (I hate its UI though - it's horrible if you have lots of TV-Shows/Seasons/Episodes).

Oct 22, 2014 11:10 AM in response to BosonFermion

The continuous play problem is very inconvenient but the worst part is that if you miss the end point of a programme and the IPad goes straight to the next programme in the series then even if you stop play it still downloads the whole programme in the background even if you shut the IPad down. It will then download all subsequent programmes in the series until the memory is all but full. This has happened to me three times this month already.

Being in the countryside I have a download limit of 60 Gb / month starting on the 1st of the month which I have never before exceeded or approached. This month It has achieved 92% as of 21st of the month.

I am truly fed up with Apple over this.

How can the Video auto play or continuous play be disabled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.