Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.0.2 issues on iPad 2

I have no service on iPad 2 since iOS 8.0.2

iPad 2

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 9:11 AM

5 replies

Sep 30, 2014 6:57 AM in response to jhatlanta

Hello jhatlanta,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

To troubleshoot this issue where you see "No Service" on your iPad please follow the steps below.

If you're in your carrier's coverage area

Follow these steps, testing after each.

1. Tap Settings > Enable Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn off airplane mode.
  2. Restart your device.
  3. Remove the SIM card. If the SIM card is damaged, worn, or bent, or if it's too big or small for the SIM tray, contact your carrier for a new one. Then reinsert the SIM card.
  4. Check for a carrier-settings update: Connect to a Wi-Fi network, tap Settings > General > About, and install any available carrier-settings updates. If you can't connect to Wi-Fi, connect your device to a computer that has iTunes.
  5. Update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
  6. Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings.
  7. Contact your carrier to check for any network or account issues.
  8. Restore your iPhone.

If you see No Service while roaming or traveling

You might be outside of your carrier's coverage area. If you're traveling internationally, you'll need an international roaming plan to use your iPhone or iPad.

If you see No Service in the status bar of your iPhone or iPad

Take care,

Alex H.

Oct 6, 2014 8:33 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi There

I was having all sorts of issues after the 8.0.2 update on my Ipad2 as well. I tried all sorts of the answers that I had read here and else where.

in the end I backed up and saved as much info as I could then did a full factory restore of my iPad. I am now pleased to say that so far all is well and working as it should.

WIFi going good

3G going good.

Oct 6, 2014 9:37 PM in response to spetert

The only issue I have had so far on my iPad2 is "No Service" for 3G in the status bar. Call to Apple Support (via my service provider) led me to re-set Network Settings....only a temporary fix. It reverts to "No Service" after a few hours. WiFi works fine.

I Upgraded my iPhone 4s using iTunes on my cable-connected PC......that seems to work fine. I am leaning toward the conclusion that the upgrade is just too big to be reliably pushed out over 3G or WiFi. Any RF transmission is subject to interference and noise. The fact that cellular BW is time-shared just makes it worse.

Thanks for the info. When I get time, will try the back-up, reset, restore process using iTunes on my PC.

I do think that Apple needs to act on this. Too many people are having problems. At the premium prices that Apple charges, people expect better. A complicated upgrade process does not have the Apple "feel" that has created brand loyalty. As a long-time PC (not Mac) user, I am sufficiently geeky to not be intimidated. However, that is not the user experience that is core to the Apple brand. Apple obviously can't be rotten to it's core 😉

Oct 14, 2014 2:22 PM in response to jhatlanta

My iPad 2 now freezes after a full restore. Will not install large apps anymore like Google Earth. Just freezes forever!

I need to go back to the stable 7.1.2. ASAP. If no support from Apple, my next tablet will be something other than a iPad.

Everyone would not have this problem with restoring if Apple had not messed up 8 and 8.0.1.

All they need to do is turn the signing back on for 7.1.2 to solve the IOS issues.

iOS 8.0.2 issues on iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.