Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data wheel always spinning after iOS 8.0.2 update

Myself and my partner both have an iPad mini 2 with retina display, even after both updating to iOS 8.0.2 we are both getting the data wheel ( in top left hand corner ) spinning almost continuously, pages take much longer to load, and even when the page has loaded it continues to spin. it is affecting the battery life. If we turn the iPad off and back on, it will stop for a short time, sometimes just a few minutes or an hour or two. We did not get this problem at all on the iOS 7. it began happening after the iOS 8 and hasn't been rectified by the 8.0.2

we have a 32mb download speed

its really frustrating and it needs to be sorted out

iPad 2, iOS 8, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 11:02 AM

12 replies

Sep 27, 2014 11:26 AM in response to Shell89

From what you are saying I assume that you mean when you are using Safari since you reference "pages to load". if you are talking about Safai and since it is happening on both devices, does this occur if you use the iPads on another WiFi network? Have you even tried the devices outside of your own home WiFi? The reason I ask, is that resetting your router might not be a bad idea if this just happens at home.

Start with clearing and force closing Safari on both of the iPads. Then reset them after you are done. You will not lose any data.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies and Data.

Now force close Safari. In order to close apps, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Sep 28, 2014 3:05 AM in response to Demo

Thank you for your response.

iv not tried them on another wifi network, because I can't see how this would be the problem considering the problem has only started after and iOS update and not a change of wifi network.

I Have followed your other steps, but it has not solved the problem.

my partners ipad is only 4 days old. As I type, he is getting the data wheel spinning continuously and has just restarted the iPad but it hasn't stopped.

( restarting the iPad usually stops the problem for a little while)

he has downloaded the dolphin browser and doesn't get the problem on that browser, so there is a problem with the iOS 8.0.2 and Safari.

We would prefer to use the safari browser

thankyou

Sep 28, 2014 5:13 AM in response to Shell89

I Don't disagree that there is an issue with Safari. Frankly, I think that Safai s*u*c*k*s and I prefer to NOT use it, and just so you know, I get the spinning data wheel as well. I have it right now. Typically a restart of Safari or clearing the cache works for me but that becomes tiresome after a while and it shouldn't be necessary. So usually, I avoid using Safari except when I have to. My browser of choice is iCab mobile.

I wish that I had the permanent fix, but I was just making recommendations based on things that work for me, temporarily at least.

EDIT - I just force closed Safari and the spinning data wheel stopped. I'm sorry, but Safari really bites. I do not get this with any other browser. File a bug report here.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

You can select Bug Report from the Feedback Type drop down menu.

Nov 14, 2014 2:04 AM in response to Shell89

Hi all, same issue here in iPhone 6, iOS 8.1 - This is regarding the spinning wheel in Safari only, - not on the HOME SCREEN.

Can reprocess issue as follows:

• Open Safari. Browse via google news (for example) to a news item, that will open up a major newspaper, full of adds and everything. That will open a new tab with this news article you've chosen.
  • When you close that newspaper tab, before it was downloaded (with all that adds and stuff), the wheel keeps on spinning.
  • Close all Tabs. Wheel keeps spinning.
  • Chose different app, return to Safari, Wheel keeps spinning.
  • Force, close app (double home button tab, swipe Safari up and away), will stop wheel spinning. (I however had the issue that only a complete phone re-start did help.)

In my case, that kept iPhone from sleep mode. (Usage time and Idle time count the same up.) Phone is discharges quicker. Safari was on Top position in the battery usage history, too.

What I did trying to solve it:

• Settings-Safari - Clear all browsing data (cookies, history...)
  • Reset network settings
  • Two-Finger-Reboot (two buttons pressed till apple-logo appears... what does that do anyhow?)

Currently, when I face the spinning wheel in Safari not turning off, I just force quit Safari. So far it helps. But it returns everytime I'm reading a web site quicker, than all add-crap was loaded and closed the tab before so.

Same on iPad with iOS 8.1

Jul 14, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Shell89

Yes same thing Go to Settings, Privacy, Location Services and turn them off. Fixed it for me as well It has to do with all your apps tracking you everywhere you go so they can sell you stuff and alert you to anything they want to sell you as you are always broadcasting your location and they are always looking for you

Data wheel always spinning after iOS 8.0.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.