Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it optimal get a Verizon iPhone 6, even if I plan to use T-Mobile currently?

Apple offers two versions of the model A1549 iPhone 6 in the US: a GSM version and a CDMA version. The CDMA version is offered by Verizon, while the GSM version is offered by T-Mobile and AT&T.

Both models, according to Apple, support exactly the same frequency bands.

I know that Verizon offers all of its phones unlocked, and I can simply put a T-Mobile SIM in a Verizon CDMA iPhone 6 and use T-Mobile. And I know that because the T-Mobile GSM iPhone 6 does not support CDMA, it can't be used on the Verizon network.

The question, though, is there ANY reason the experience/bandwidth/speed of using a Verizon iPhone 6 on T-Mobile network would be worse than using the T-Mobile iPhone on T-Mobile network?

For example, I am currently using a Verizon iPhone 5 on the T-Mobile network, and while the experience is good, I only get T-Mobile "4G", I don't get "LTE". Would I get LTE if I were using a Verizon iPhone 6 on T-Mobile?

This seems to be an important question, because if the answer to that question is "YES" then it would seem one should buy the Verizon iPhone no matter what, as this preserves the option in the future of switching back to the Verizon network if plans/pricing seem more attractive.

And I used "T-Mobile" in this question, because that's the carrier I plan to use, but the same question would apply if it is AT&T.

(Needless to say, I plan to pay full price for me phone so any question of contracts/subsidies are irrelevant for me.)

Thanks everyone!

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 11:21 AM

10 replies

Sep 28, 2014 1:04 AM in response to kirkegrd

I really am not sure of the answer to your question because LTE service is not important to me. I live in Costa Rica where the local carrier uses GSM but LTE is not widely available yet. I use my Verizon iPhone 5S while in Costa Rica after swapping out SIM cards and it works just fine. I am under contract with Verizon, hence my use of that network when I am in the USA. One thing of interest though is that this website claims the T-Mobile unlocked/contract free iPhone 6/6 Plus works with a Verizon SIM card. That's news to me as I thought that particular device was the GSM model without a CDMA radio. If it does actually work on the Verizon network and you are not contract bound, it seems you might want to purchase the T-Mobile iPhone.

Sep 28, 2014 3:11 PM in response to kirkegrd

Maybe not. And this website may explain how this is possible.

"The situation is much better this year as the new iPhone 6/6 Plus features new VoLTE (Voice over LTE) technology, which means you can buy a GSM version and still can use a full range of services on CDMA networks. For example, you can buy a sim-free T-Mobile phone and completely avoid CDMA to use it on Verizon."

Jun 14, 2015 11:35 PM in response to kirkegrd

Yes, I originally got my iPhone 6 from t mobile when I got fed up, I had them unlock it, borrowed a friends verizon iPhone 5 to start a prepaid account, then put the sim in my six, and it's been running like a champ on verizon. Full EVDO Rev a and b, and fast LTE, and my phone has been working much better and receiving more signal in more places then on T Mobile.

Jun 29, 2015 7:01 PM in response to Snorkel 378 TH

So glad to see a recent reply. My question is the same as the original kirkegrd post. I have spent hours on the phone and in TMobile and Verizon stores trying to get a straight answer and the only thing I am sure of is that both carriers want you to buy "their" Apple phone and will tell you whatever it takes to get the sale. I need help. I am 65 and technology does not come easily to me. I want to upgrade to an Apple 6 and an Apple 5c from two iphone 4's. I am currently at Verizon. From what I have read online, it appears that I could upgrade at Verizon then take my own device to T Mobile in future should I choose. Doing so would enable me to return to Verizon with the same devices should I be unhappy(er) at T Mobile. Various online sites say that this can be done (Verizon to TMobile) but not the other way. If Apple is building the phones to do either, is TMobile installing something to prevent it after they unlock it? I understand TMobile will not unlock until after 40 days of service but OK. The TMobile store told me today that there are different "versions" of the Iphone and that one purchased at Verizon would 99% probably not get all the features if taken to TMobile even though Apple builds the phone able to do GSM or CDMA. Said I should buy from Apple direct if I might go back and forth. Is this true? I have a large credit at Verizon so would like to purchase there. They said their experience was this was the case with many phones from other carriers including Apple. I understand the conflict with phones created specifically for a CDMA or GSM network but I can't figure out how to sort the truth from the baloney on Apple phones. Any guidance appreciated on whom to believe.

Jun 29, 2015 8:43 PM in response to MamaTinSA

It isn't a technical issue.

Verizon does not accept carry in phones that are not already in their system and the GSM side of their iPhones is unlocked due to an agreement with the FCC or acquisition of airwaves. So it you are contemplating returning to Verizon but you want to try T-Mobile then buy your iPhone from Verizon (make sure you pay full price and avoid a contract) and then you can return to Verizon if you wish.

Jun 30, 2015 5:25 PM in response to deggie

And so it must be something Verizon does to the phone when they activate it that prevents it from working on the LTE bands from TMobile? I sure wish I understood more of this. It is a lot of money to spend on a phone that locks you into one carrier until you have another $700 to try a different service. Thank you for your assistence, I have preferred Apple for a long time but at this price you had better love your carrier.

Is it optimal get a Verizon iPhone 6, even if I plan to use T-Mobile currently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.