Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8 USB tethering not Working

I update my 5s to ios 8 a week ago, but recently I found out there is a problem with the hotspot function. When I turn on the hotspot with only USB tethering and link to my win8 thinkpad, there is no response either from the laptop or iphone 5s. It was fine for ios 7 in my 5s. I am an at&t user with the mobile share plan, so I am wondering if the issue is with ios 8 or with the carrier.

BTW, I can use hotspot through wifi linking to my laptop after restoring the internet settings, but no luck with USB tethering.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 4:38 PM

13 replies

Oct 1, 2014 4:15 AM in response to Luke Tmac

Hello I have the same problem. With my iphone 5S tethering is not working anymore. Moreover the icon of "personal hotspot" disappeared. Now I have 8.0.2 but still been the same.

Airdrop is not working either. My iPad mini and iphone 5S have been paired before but now they no longer recognise each other, always complaining that the other device is not in the range.

My phone operator supports tethering and have been using this feature before these updates.

It seems that I am not the only one to have this problem. I have been reading several complains.

I really appreciate any information or clue.

Oct 14, 2014 10:37 PM in response to Pochiko

Yep the same here.. sort of.. 5S running 7.1.2 (11D257) tethers to the router ok but the ipad4 8.0.2 (12A405) refuses to work.. Before upgrade the ipad was happy to.

What has Apple changed in the code. Im certainly not moving the iphone to iso8 until the ipad can connect again. If I'm going to loose total connectivity i guess I'm going to loose out on all the fun stuff the ios8 brings!

Sep 30, 2015 11:21 PM in response to ITSupportGuy

Nothing has changed for me.. Still have the iphone running iOS 7.1.2 as I don't want to loose the tethering ability.. Ipad is running iOS 9.01 so it's looking like the fun police have moved in, out, burnt the building down and not looking back.

Hopefully there will be a firmware up for the router (although they aren't on the nice list with Apple).

Oct 2, 2015 1:17 PM in response to ITSupportGuy

Here's an update in my case...

I was reading the form here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-3-breaks-iphone-tethering-over-usb .1917136/

and re-installed iTunes 12.3 from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and installed it on top of the existing 12.3 version I already had. No loss or mess up on iTunes. I also ran the elevated Terminal command:

sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1

Rebooted my MacBook Pro (10.10.5) and connected my iPhone 6 (8.4.1) and iPhone USB now works under my network connections.

ios 8 USB tethering not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.