Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5s won't turn on after ios 8.0.2 update

Hello so i updated my 16GB iphone 5s to ios 8.0.2 because i too had problems with the previous versions and after the update it had to restart my phone except now it wont turn on. After trying to restart it all it comes up with is the apple logo that comes up when you restart the phone and then after a while i will get the "blue screen of death" I have left my phone on all day to see if it will restart but still the same cycle of the apple logo and then the blue screen. I know other people have had successful updates with the 8.0.2 ios update but i haven't unfortunately. I have drained my phone battery and after that it did display that i needed to connect my phone to a charger but as soon as it got charged it still restarted with the apple logo followed by the blue screen. The blue screen also has a single line running across horizontally, the position of changes after every attempt of restarting. I have also tried turning off by the home button and the sleep button but still doesn't work and also my itunes wont read that my phone is connected whilst it is resetting.

Any ideas or solutions? Help would be much appreciated as i have a fairway to travel to go to an apple store. Thank you.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8, 8.0.2

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 5:57 PM

Me too.

And will not let me restore with itunes.

31 replies

Sep 27, 2014 7:19 PM in response to alayyy

I just had the same experience. I updated to 8.0.2 yesterday and everything seemed to work well. Tonight I attempted to use my iPhone as a hotspot and then all of a sudden my screen went black. I can not restart the phone. If I press and hold the home button I can hear Siri come on. When I ask it something it tells me its unable to process my request at this time.

This is the biggest joke of an update yet from Apple. I use my phone all day for courts and making calls; totally unacceptable. Looks like I will be having to fire up my Q10 until this is resolved.

Thanks Apple!

Sep 28, 2014 4:45 PM in response to alayyy

Here is what you can try,

Hold both the power and home buttons until the device powers off, may take 10sec. Let go of both as soon as screen goes black.

Open itunes on your computer and plug in your cable to the computer but NOT the phone.

Once itunes is open hold down the home button on phone and plug in cable and continue holding home button until you see the connect to iTunes logo on screen. iTunes will give a msg that a device has been detected in recovery mode. Now select restore and do not disconnect until you see your device in iTunes again.

Sep 29, 2014 1:40 AM in response to alayyy

I was unable to get the phone to go into recovery mode, it just kept going into a loop, restarting and going to the same screen.

So this is how I fixed it:-

1. Reinstall ITunes and reboot the PC.

2. The new version of ITunes recognised the phone this time around and put it into recovery mode.

3. Follow the prompts and the phone was eventually restored to the last back up (which was made before the attempted upgrade)

4. One hour later the phone was completely restored and I just had to enter new passwords.

Hope that helps somebody with the same problem

Kev

Oct 1, 2014 8:09 PM in response to kev1n46

Hi Kev1n46! I am having the EXACT same probelm as alayyy. And I am trying to attempt your method, however whenever I try to restore my phone via my itunes on mac, it wants to RESTORE AND UPDATE (to the evil 8.02) so whenever it does so I get again the loop of apple logo and blue death screen. Do you know how I can get around to only restoring it? Thanks!!

Oct 19, 2014 10:52 AM in response to alayyy

I have had exactly the same problem tonight: Every time I update my iPhone 5.S via iTunes an error message comes up on screen after I've waited around 70 or so minutes to say it's failed. It deletes everything on the phone and I have to restore it EVERY TIME! It really is so frustrating and such a waste of time.

Only on this occasion, instead of it automatically saying it's in recovery mode and giving the option of restoring, nothing is happening, only the iTunes symbol and connecting picture on the phone. Tried turning it off an on several times (even after waiting for a while) and restarting machine but nothing!

Luckily I synced my phone beforehand so that nothing was lost. It really is unacceptable Apple!

Oct 21, 2014 8:15 AM in response to alayyy

I had a similar problem today. Once I plugged my iphone 5 itunes asked me if I wanted to update the IOS and I clicked yes. Few minutes later an error message appeared and since then my phone is dead.

When I want to turn on my phone it shows the itunes logo with the cable> I have tried everything in this post from re installing itunes to the home button/lock button trick but nothing works. As I am one of the lucky iphone 5 broken hold button owner it is even more difficult now to do these tricks. Thanks to the manufacturing problem!

Genius bar in Paris only has availability for an appointment next week!

Thank you very much Apple for letting your users/customers down.

iphone 5s won't turn on after ios 8.0.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.