Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to normalize quotation marks in Pages?

I have written a novel over two years and I've used many different computers, an iPad and different text editors to do it. This has resulted in the quotation marks being different -- e.g. in some places, there are guillemets used. What I need throughout the file are marks in the following style: „…“ I am currently using the new Macbook Pro (with Retina) and Pages.

Does anyone know an easy way to achieve this? Thank you so much!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 2:16 PM

2 replies

Sep 27, 2014 3:24 PM in response to elliehane

If you have added French and German input sources in System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources, and chosen to Show input menu in menu bar, then you can select the input language, request the keyboard viewer, and by pressing the option, space, control keys, or combinations, you can access the appropriate European quotation characters for input into the Find/Replace tool.

In the Find/Replace panel (command+F), you can use the technique in the first paragraph to search for the guillemet («»), and replace with the („“) quotes. You will have to do a find/replace for each respective matching quote mark with a replace all. Pages v5.2.2 Find/Replace will permit these characters.

User uploaded file

I had hoped that one could change the smart quote style in System Preferences > Keyboard, Text, and then in Edit > Substitutions > Show Substitutions, that one could just do a replace all there. Does not work. Replace selection — does not work either.

How to normalize quotation marks in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.