Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet/data problem

I have an iPhone 5 that is a little under 2 years old. It says it is connected to my internet but nothing on the phone that uses internet/data will work (apps, IMessage). This just suddenly happened yesterday. Also, I am still using iOS 7.1.2 because when I tried to install iOS 8 last week, I could not get the installation to work. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Thank you!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 8:42 AM

Hi there lns252,

I would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps found in the article below.

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Unable to access the Internet while connected to Wi-Fi

1. If you're using a public or commercial network, you may need to log in or subscribe.
  2. Check to see if you have a self-assigned IP address:
    1. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected and tap User uploaded file.
    2. If your IP address is 169.254.xxx.xxx, you may not be able to access the Internet.
  3. If you do not have a self-assigned IP address, see if other Wi-Fi devices on your network have Internet access.
    • If they do not, consult with your network administrator or ISP for further assistance.
    • If they do, reset network settings on your device by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including:
      • previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
      • recently used Bluetooth accessories
      • VPN and APN settings

-Griff W.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2014 8:42 AM in response to lns252

Hi there lns252,

I would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps found in the article below.

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Unable to access the Internet while connected to Wi-Fi

1. If you're using a public or commercial network, you may need to log in or subscribe.
  2. Check to see if you have a self-assigned IP address:
    1. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected and tap User uploaded file.
    2. If your IP address is 169.254.xxx.xxx, you may not be able to access the Internet.
  3. If you do not have a self-assigned IP address, see if other Wi-Fi devices on your network have Internet access.
    • If they do not, consult with your network administrator or ISP for further assistance.
    • If they do, reset network settings on your device by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including:
      • previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
      • recently used Bluetooth accessories
      • VPN and APN settings

-Griff W.

internet/data problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.