Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the audio messages stored after you "keep" them?

I just updated my iPhone 5 and I can now send the audio messages. When I click to keep them I don't know where they go. Also I don't know how to send the video messages or how to save them and find them after I save them.

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2017 1:14 AM

On mac os 10.10:
audio messages received on mac os desktop are stored in ~/Library/Messages/Attachments and have a .amr extension.
You can hence find them via Terminal, open them in Quicktime and then export them as audio file for portability.
If you prefer going trough the interface, in the Messages window, on the chat you've received the audio message, click on 'Details' in the upper right corner. A small gallery containing the attachments for the chat is showed. Find the audio message (a music note icon similar as the one in iTunes), right click on it and choose 'Open'. The .amr file will be then opened in Quicktime and you can export it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2017 1:14 AM in response to kimberly10606

On mac os 10.10:
audio messages received on mac os desktop are stored in ~/Library/Messages/Attachments and have a .amr extension.
You can hence find them via Terminal, open them in Quicktime and then export them as audio file for portability.
If you prefer going trough the interface, in the Messages window, on the chat you've received the audio message, click on 'Details' in the upper right corner. A small gallery containing the attachments for the chat is showed. Find the audio message (a music note icon similar as the one in iTunes), right click on it and choose 'Open'. The .amr file will be then opened in Quicktime and you can export it.

Sep 30, 2014 9:06 AM in response to kimberly10606

Hi kimberly10606,

Messages data is saved in the Messages app itself.

Keep an audio or video message

An audio or video message recorded and sent from Messages will expire two minutes after you play it. Before an audio or video message expires, you can tap Keep, under the message, to manually save it in Messages and to your attachments. To view your saved attachments, tap Details while viewing the conversation.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

Nubz

Where are the audio messages stored after you "keep" them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.