Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to merge iOS messages conversation feeds?

My wife and I have been texting back and forth for a long time now on the same conversation feed using iMessage (we both have iPhones) and just recently, after updating to iOS 8, both our phones randomly created a completely new conversation feed for the other. It's very strange. So far I haven't seen it happen with any of my other contacts. What's even stranger is that in Messages on my Mac, the conversation feed appears as one.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there a way to fix it so it won't happen again? And lastly, is there any way to merge to two conversation feeds back into one?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 1:50 PM

Perhaps iMessage unintentionally started a new conversation to/from one of your email addresses (rather than the phone number). This has happened to me a few times.

On the two conversations, tap the recipient (in this case your wife), then tap the Info button. Perhaps one of the conversations highlights her phone number, while the other highlights an email address.

If this is the case, unfortunately there is no way to merge the conversations. The fix is just to manually check that you are replying to the correct conversation (phone number, likely), and let the other conversation slip into the abyss. Or just delete it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2015 1:50 PM in response to LLGHanson

Perhaps iMessage unintentionally started a new conversation to/from one of your email addresses (rather than the phone number). This has happened to me a few times.

On the two conversations, tap the recipient (in this case your wife), then tap the Info button. Perhaps one of the conversations highlights her phone number, while the other highlights an email address.

If this is the case, unfortunately there is no way to merge the conversations. The fix is just to manually check that you are replying to the correct conversation (phone number, likely), and let the other conversation slip into the abyss. Or just delete it.

Sep 27, 2014 6:02 PM in response to TheSandWraith

I had a strange problem with my son that started a different conversation. It started with a text that I sent, and continued in the new discussion. What finally stopped it for me was when I singed out and back in, then he went back to the original conversation and sent a text to me. When I replied to that it stayed in the original (old) conversation.

How to merge iOS messages conversation feeds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.