Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match not updating Changes from Library and reverting to original data WHYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!?

How do I keep iTunes Match from De-Organizing my music? I have spent hours organizing my music ratings, info, and deleting duplicates only to quit iTunes and find out that it reverts back to the original when it starts up and syncs with Match. It first de-organized hours worth of my time. Then I tried it again with iTunes match off only to find out that once you turn it on it de-organizes it again!! I have iTunes match turned off on all my devices. HELP!!

MacBook Air, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 4:28 PM

8 replies

Sep 28, 2014 12:22 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Oh let me elaborate some more as my frustration kept me from being clear. I updated my library (which is of significant size) with different ratings, genre and deletion of duplicate songs. While iTunes Match was on. I closed the ITunes program and, later once I re-opened it it asked if it connect to the internet like usual and right in front of my eyes reverted what I had updated back to before I updated it.

I never had this issue before except for when I first upgraded my macbook and copied the music files straight from the iTunes folder from a backup disk which did not save any of my ratings.

I then modified a couple of songs again, closed the I-Tunes application, opened it again, and saw it revert it again.

I turned iTunes Match off on all my devices and modified some songs, restarted iTunes and the changes stayed.

Something with the "Cloud" is not allowing these changes to remain permanent. Once a change is made to a file it is timestamped right? So why is the cloud and computer not following the latest timestamp?

I have finished organizing a sizable amount of music and am now worried about turning Match on again in fear that it will screw up my entire library.

I do this about once every 5 years or so where I spend a lot of time organizing my music, photos, etc... I just wish that for once I would have technology that wouldn't make it a nightmare.

Side note: I am bilingual and recently changed my computer language from English to Portuguese. So iTunes thinks its totally cool to change the genre of only the songs that are played to the portuguese spelling of the genre, which practically duplicates all my genre. Thats pretty annoying. Just leave the freaking music metadata language alone dudes if the artist speaks english the metadata should be in english in my opinion. Or at least have this auto language update as an option under preferences one could opt out of.

Oct 4, 2014 12:45 PM in response to rlimeira

The fact that you have all your other devices disconnected from match is interesting. This problem seems to happen when more than one Mac or PC is synched to the same account. What maybe happening, is that your edits are not updating in a timely fashion, and you are shutting down iTunes before it can complete the update(s). Consequently, upon restart, iTunes updates with the current (not updated) files. May I suggest updating files in small batches. Also, selecting "Update iTunes Match" will not help here. It seems to only work from the Cloud to the device, not the other way around. This is a recurring problem with no solution it seems. A problem with no solution, is just a fact of life. *sigh*

Oct 6, 2014 12:03 AM in response to Matthew D'Amico

Yeah, so I'm not using this anymore. After days of having iTunes Match off with my music library organized (days where I shut down the computer closed and re-opened several times with the library still organized) I decided to turn Match back on with the hopes that it would keep the organization. Guess what? My library metadata magically reverted back to the disorganized original once again. Had to copy and replace the iTunes folder from my backup to recover the organization. Supper disappointed with the Match product and hope in the coming years they can fix this and I can try again.

Oct 28, 2014 3:43 PM in response to rlimeira

Same stuff happened to me several times. Truly infuriating. Not every time though, so I still believe Apple & iTunes software is capable of performing to expectations, at least in some cases. Re-running sync after changes are made, by the way, does not help solve the problem.

I wonder if deleting all songs locally through iTunes (but leaving them in the cloud) first would work better. Theoretically speaking, all modifications to titles/ratings/genres/etc. then happen on their servers (right?). Also, I will make sure I disable iCloud synchronization on all of my apple devices PRIOR to going through the steps above. I'll let you know if it worked.

Apr 17, 2015 11:59 PM in response to rlimeira

Same problem with me. And it looks like it lasts months already. I make changes to my iTunes Match library (all tracks are in the cloud) and then after a while all those changes are cancelled and the library state reverts back to its original condition. Moreover, I enabled Match on a new system where Itunes imported a few tracks and now I can't delete them! 😉

Many new versions of iTunes appeared but the problem remains both on Mac and PC 😟

iTunes Match not updating Changes from Library and reverting to original data WHYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.