Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 camera issues black screen

I Updated to the iOS 8.0.2 this am I am having camera issues

black screen

ive tried restarting

the other cam app is not working either

sent pic in text they do not recieve

anything with pics is a no go

looked evey where for resolution no go

please help

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 6:34 PM

28 replies

Nov 7, 2014 10:07 AM in response to dsegura

Nope here on the soft reset. I hope this post will help illuminate the current software issue.

The camera now has four modes:

Mode 1: Selfie-plus-black-external

Mode 2: Selfie-plus-blurry-external

Mode 3: Selfie-plus-black

Mode 4: Black - bricked camera

In either mode, attempts to adjust camera settings soon crash the entire camera.

Exiting the camera, doing something else and re-entering the camera usually, but not always, brings it back to one of the partly responsive modes.

Again, soft reset fails to restore full camera operation, and any operation is temporary. Further, having to reconfigure various settings after reset is unacceptable.

Our use cannot tolerate time-consuming workarounds. While Reginaiphone may have the best solution, alternative proposals are also welcome.

Mar 2, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Reginaiphone5

If the camera is still showing a black screen after performing a hard reset chances are that this issue is hardware related meaning the actual camera piece is malfunctioning on the phone.

Use caution before attempting this next suggestion, you don’t want to physically break the phone accidently; it will void the phones warranty.

I know of instances where the actual camera on the phone can become dislodged and of course cause it to malfunction, making sure the phone is powered off and then applying pressure to the actual camera lens itself, firm pressure but be careful you don’t want to break your phones screen or anything else on the device, it can pop the camera lens back into place and fix the issue

Aug 4, 2015 3:23 PM in response to haydentruong

Thanks Haydenturong!

I had the same problem as everyone else on this thread. I did resets, restoring the phone as new, even updating the iOS software. NONE of these worked for more than a few minutes to a day( if at all). Finally, I gently pushed on the camera lens with a soft cloth, and my camera is now working again.... At least temporarily. So it looks like it was a simple hardware problem. I wish Apple would acknowledge such problems publicly, and provide solutions.....so we don't have to spend hours jumping through all these hoops that do not solve a thing. I have used Apple (and only Apple ) products for over 25 years. I am now starting to lose faith in this company! Why can't they address issues with hardware or iOS software (such as wifi problems, or battery drainage) & instruct us how to fix the bug, instead of leaving us all frustrated. Being upfront about such issues would at least show me that Apple still has the integrity that originally was part of the reason I fell in love with this company. As the iPhone interface seems to look more & more like some of the other Smart phones, and they play dumb about iOS bugs, I am more inclined to try a different company's products.

Sep 21, 2015 5:06 AM in response to vansun

I tired everything mentioned here, hard resets, soft resets, erase all iphone settings, pressing the camera screen etc. Nothing worked. I then tried an App which accesses the camera, Simple resize it is called. First of all it brought up the black camera screen but after 3-4 attempts the camera came to life, all blurry and flashing on and off. After several more attempts the camera started working in the App and now the camera works as normal. The flashlight now works as well.

iPhone 5 camera issues black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.