Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth car connectivity after installation of iOS 8 and 8.2

Using iPhone 5 (ATT). Driving 2013 Toyota highlander. No Bluetooth issues prior to updating iOS to 8.0. The 8.2 update did not fix this issue.

Issue - attempted to place call from car. Radio went silent ( this is normal) I hear call ring 2-3 times then click. Then radio resumes playing ( indicating call did not go through) Display in car indicates it is still trying to call. Even after turning off Bluetooth and car for hours, when both are on the car display indicates the call is still trying to Connect. The phone will not function properly when still connected. To be able to place calls or texts, I turn off Bluetooth. To clear message when blue tooth on, I have had to pull over, turn off the car so I can have phone forget the device (car) then turn off blue tooth restart car - unpair the iPhone turn Bluetooth back on on the iPhone and re-pair to the car. Then Siri can read my texts to me.

REPEAT THIS HAS ALL OCCURRED SINCE UPDATE TO IOS 8 and I hoped it would be fixed with the update of that which I installed yesterday. No luck. Any other suggestions?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 8:46 PM

27 replies

Oct 2, 2014 6:55 PM in response to NASDAQ06

I am also having a similar issue through my Stereo Bluetooth in my Toyota Aurion TRD, I can use siri for voice & email messages but when I ask siri to make a call it makes connection but terminates immediately.

Spoke with Apple Care, they suggest I contact the Stereo Manufacturer. I did this and they advised that Apple are fully aware of the issue and are working on a new version of IOS.

Oct 8, 2014 3:19 PM in response to Danbbakie

Not just restricted to Bluetooth either??

I have the same issues when trying to connect to the in car audio system via (iPod) input / Aux channel

Prior to iOS 8 "Upgrade" everything worked fine.

Now I can view Playlists, Songs, Artists and Albums as normal, but once selected, the play function simply results in "Track 1" 0:00 and hangs until the track is manually started on the phone its self!! (and it will only play the tracks already selected (Playlist, Album etc.)) I have no control over the next track function on the steering wheel / headunit buttons.

I figured I'd try the Bluetooth method, which has the same result as everyone on here!!

Hope Apple are working to fix this, in light of no "RollBack" to iOS 7?????

Oct 11, 2014 2:22 PM in response to Danbbakie

I Have an iPhone 5 and a hands free speakerphone in my car. Prior to IOS 8 the Bluetooth worked perfectly. In fact the Bluetooth connectivity has been outstanding on my iPhone for everything: speakers, headsets, etc. Now all I get is "Disconnected" then "Connected" constantly. And using voice navigation I don't get the voice, just a "Call ended".

The Bluetooth function is now totally useless. Don't these guys test anything before releasing it?

oh and the WiFi part is also messed up. Slow slow slow. And anything with Cellular internet is slow too!

Geez.

Oct 14, 2014 11:39 AM in response to skier.richie

I am having the same issue with my 2013 Dodge Ram 1550 truck. Blue tooth worked fine with my iPhone 5 with a previous operating systems and now that I have upgraded to the iPhone 6 I have connectivity issues. My truck bluetooth says that I am connected. When I go to make a call it either doesn't connect to blue tooth or it connects for a second and then drops out of hands free blue tooth. Please help. Thanks.

Oct 14, 2014 1:33 PM in response to Danbbakie

My iPhone 4s connects fine through Bluetooth. But I can't play any music (BT or hardwired) unless I hit the play button on the phone first. I have also had an issue where the screen froze & when I disconnected the phone, it had wiped all my music. Apple, tell us that you are listening and acknowledging that ios 8.2 has issues!!!

Oct 14, 2014 1:55 PM in response to scotcad

This is the exact same issue I have, but trying to get through to Apple technical is a nightmare! I finally got through the other evening, but their support seemed only to tackle the Bluetooth issue most others are experiencing!!

Hardwire or Bluetooth and the iPod function of the iPhone (5 in my case) refuses to respond to inputs from the head unit (I can sort through playlists, songs, albums etc.) but when you try and access a track, the head unit screen shows the track as playing, but the iPhone display shows it's paused?????

It would be nice to be told that Apple are aware of this issue and it's being sorted, but I keep getting fobbed off with "It's your car system" "Have you tried changing the USB lead?"

I can make and receive calls no problem, but iPod feature of my iPhone is driving me nuts!!!

Oct 21, 2014 4:01 AM in response to Danbbakie

I have this issue too with Highway H260Dbi ,iPhone 5S running iOS 8.2 , took head unit back to supplier and they changed for brand new head unit as they couldn't work out what was wrong - STILL has same fault!

Updated software on head unit - STILL the same!

Contacted Apple support via chat - USELESS!

connected an iPhone 5S with iOS 7 - WORKS PERFECTLY!

Connected my old 4S with iOS 7 - WORKS PERFECTLY!

Come on Apple admit there is a flaw in iOS 8.2

Oct 21, 2014 10:14 PM in response to Danbbakie

I Have an iPhone 5 and a hands free speakerphone in my car. Prior to IOS 8 the Bluetooth worked perfectly. In fact the Bluetooth connectivity has been outstanding on my iPhone for everything: speakers, headsets, etc. Now all I get is "Disconnected" then "Connected" constantly. And using voice navigation I don't get the voice, just a "Call ended".

The Bluetooth function is now totally useless. Don't these guys test anything before releasing it?

oh and the WiFi part is also messed up. Slow slow slow. And anything with Cellular internet is slow too!

Geez.

I did update to 8.1 and the Bluetooth connection occur faster ( just like IOS 7) but voice navigation still get "Call Ended" and no voice directions!

Oct 23, 2014 12:17 PM in response to Danbbakie

Toyota Prius 2013, iPhone 5, iOS 8.2. With me the problem is playing audio since I upgraded to iOS 8. Audio will stop playing, and hitting play does nothing. However, on the toyota screen, album artwork flashes different covers at about 2 per second. To get things working again I have to completely shut down the iPhone and restart it, and then it might work for about 30 minutes before it goes haywire again.

Why isn't this a bluetooth-gate or something, i.e. not getting more attention? Lots of complaints on lots of forums, but sort of under the radar press-wise.

Bluetooth car connectivity after installation of iOS 8 and 8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.