Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i access the HDD of my old iMac g5 als

i have an old iMac G5 ALS that i've already replaced the capacitors on, so that my grand kids could use , but now it seems to have given up the ghost ,

i've looked inside at the 4 lights and only the first 2 come on, that's a logic board problem, right?

looking online at the cost of a working logic board for it, i don't think it's worth it,

anyway i would like to know how to access the HDD as it was a replacement 320gb itself and as far as i can tell is still working.

any help would be appreciated.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 21.5" 2.5 GHz Intel Core 5

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 3:22 PM

You can pull the hard drive out and put in an external SATA Firewire case. Mind you, your 10.9 running iMac may not be able to read many of the old documents or run many of the old applications. This tip explains how to run 10.6 Server on 10.9, if your iMac is newer than July 20, 2011:

Rosetta/PowerPC Applications and Lion and above

If you have an older iMac than July 20, 2011 that is functional, you can add partition without erasing and install 10.6 on that iMac to be able to use many of the older iMac G5 compatible applications.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2014 3:22 PM in response to GeneHunt

You can pull the hard drive out and put in an external SATA Firewire case. Mind you, your 10.9 running iMac may not be able to read many of the old documents or run many of the old applications. This tip explains how to run 10.6 Server on 10.9, if your iMac is newer than July 20, 2011:

Rosetta/PowerPC Applications and Lion and above

If you have an older iMac than July 20, 2011 that is functional, you can add partition without erasing and install 10.6 on that iMac to be able to use many of the older iMac G5 compatible applications.

how do i access the HDD of my old iMac g5 als

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.