Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple TV won't update with the new software. Why?

II'm attempting to update the software on my Apple TV and it won't work. I have restarted the Apple TV and the tv and still won't work. HELP

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 12:14 PM

We have the same issue but we still had 6.2. Auto update was on but it didn't update. Nothing happening now. Tried switching it off and leaving it for 5 minutes but problem persists.

ANy help out there?

8 replies

Sep 29, 2014 1:33 PM in response to Vlc2731

Hi. I had the same EXACT issue and had to do some digging. It finally worked!

- Go to the Settings Menu and work your way to the RESTART option (NOT the RESET option).

- It will take a minute or two for your system to RESTART (don't worry, no information is lost).

- Then go back through your Settings Options and manually select Update Software (don't wait around, hoping Automatic Update will eventually start).

NOTE:

- Most people had to RESTART twice before the Software Update would begin.

- For me, the UPDATE began after the third attempt to RESTART

-- The UPDATE did not successfully complete for me, though

-- SO, I had to perform 4 additional RESTARTS before I could manually begin the Software Update

- The Software Update was successful, finally, and once that download smoothly occurred...the Apple TV was able to install all the changes

- I've heard of as many as 10 RESTARTS; it took me 7...so please be patient. As long as you have a solid internet connection, it will work

- It is also helpful to ask family members to cease from gaming or streaming, as you are trying to do the Software Update. It may not be a factor for you, but for me...it helped expedite the process & it seemed to mitigate the potential for hang-ups during the software transfer (which could have caused an error the first time the software was downloading).

Best regards,

Tom

Jan 18, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Vlc2731

I had been trying to update my apple TV for several weeks. Never successful. I restarted SEVERAL times both with the menu restart option and with the remote reset (Menu/down arrow) and by pulling the power cord. I personally started the software update from the menu as well as when I got the prompts when I signed in. I read several forums and tried everything.. setting screen saver and sleep to never, checked my ethernet network (which was working fine for everything else including streaming music. None of this worked. After trying this for more than 20 unsuccessful times, I tried my last ditch effort.. a hint from another forum. I pulled the ethernet plug and connected to my home wifi network. Without a glitch the apple TV finally started and completed the download, installed, checked it all and now is completely updated.

After my experience, I would suggest that if you have problems and are on an ethernet network, disconnect and try the process via wifi.

Good luck with this incredibly frustrating process. Apple products really used to just work. Now they don't!!!!

My Apple TV won't update with the new software. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.