Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4S ios 8.0.2 can't make calls or texts

Hi,

Even with the update to IOS 8 of 8.0.2, my iPhone 4s still doesn't allow me to make calls or send text messages.

Is it possible to go back to ios 7.1.2?

My iphone is now no more than a door stop. Does Apple know this bug fix is still full of bugs and will fix.

Do I need to just go out and buy anything other than Apple?

Cheers,

Ken

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 8:54 AM

my iPhone 5 did the same thing this morning

14 replies

Sep 28, 2014 7:07 PM in response to kendo666

Having similar issues Ken. Check my post below to see the list of issues I am having. Are yours similar/worse?

iPhone 4S - No Cellular Data Activity After Updating To iOS 8.0.2

The recommendation made by a user to fix my phone is not useful, and will only serve to have us lose all of the data on our phones with no promise of fixing the issues we are facing.

Sep 29, 2014 4:41 AM in response to kendo666

I have the same issues. I cannot make calls as signal drops in 3-60 seconds every time. That is my biggest problem though there are several other issues (slow web or intermittentexting , etc). I boarded a plane shortly after the upgrade - when I return i am going to try to restore or reinstall 7. I have heard diff opinions if this can be done, I'll let you know what happens. My iPhone is now pretty much an itouch since it cannot be used for phone calls. (phone 4s).

Sep 29, 2014 5:00 AM in response to Spike718

It will accept in-coming calls but if I try to call out, it immediately goes to "call-ended". This is my teenage son's phone so we've had to give him another phone to goto school with. The update worked fine on my iPhone 5S. But his phone is also now just an ipod touch. I don't think I want to go through this again. And if it's not fixed with an update, I won't be replacing any device I have with Apple again.

Sep 29, 2014 6:16 AM in response to kendo666

Here is what you can try,

Hold both the power and home buttons until the device powers off, may take 10sec. Let go of both as soon as screen goes black.

Open itunes on your computer and plug in your cable to the computer but NOT the phone.

Once itunes is open hold down the home button on phone and plug in cable and continue holding home button until you see the connect to iTunes logo on screen. iTunes will give a msg that a device has been detected in recovery mode. Now select restore and do not disconnect until you see your device in iTunes again.

Set the device up as NEW. See if the issue is still there. I have had MANY devices come across my bench with this issuse. once issue is fixed then restore from prior back up, just note that the majority of devices I fix this way the issue is an older back up on an IOS 8.x device

Dec 2, 2014 6:23 AM in response to kendo666

I experienced this problem immediately after upgrading my iPhone4s to OS8.1.1. I'd go into "Recents" to dial a friend and a moment later the "Call Ended" text would appear followed by the screen disappearing. No one could reach me by phone either.

Restarting the phone made it worse. The dialing screen would not even appear after rebooting.

Since everything else worked I decided to tinker with my "Cellular" settings under "Settings". I turned off 3G and tried to make a call. It worked! I turned on airplane mode, then off, then I turned 3G back on.

It still works!

It's surprising that an OS update that basically keeps a phone from being a phone has not gotten more attention.

Jan 26, 2015 2:27 PM in response to kendo666

I had this same issue on my 4S. I fought and fought the iMessage for over an hour last night late after one of my friends asking why I was send messages from my email account. I have iMessage come into my iPad, too. I ended up having to turn iMessage off on my iPad, log out of my iCloud accout on my phone, log back into my iCloud on my phone and then reboot the phone to get it to work. I then turned iMessage on at my iPad and all worked fine. That is until this morning when I couldn't make or receive calls. After reading a bunch of messages, including this one, I called my carrier just to verify it wasn't anything on their end since I did a full setting reset trying to get iMessage to work last night. What I ended up doing to get it to work was plug it into iTunes and restore my phone back to a backup done on 1/18. After that, it's worked fine. I have made and received calls. I lost a lot of text messages in between, but, it now works. I have the text messages on my iPad should I need them for anything as many of them were work related.

I usually use these discussion groups for reference and rarely post. I hope my experience helps someone. I must say I was exceptionally frustrated when I tried to call apple support today about the issue only to find out I would have to pay $30 for a service ticket on something that was caused by them.

Good luck to everyone solving this issues. It is quite a pain.

Jun 14, 2015 5:10 PM in response to kendo666

Here's what I've done to solve it:

I did step #2 then #1, but it's recommended to start with the easiest step.

1. Check your sim card

• Put your sim card in another phone, make & receive calls, and let anyone calls you (the problem might still exist)
  • Then put it back in your iPhone, make a call. If the issue still there please go to the next step.

2. **This step will erase your data from the iPhone unless you have a backup in the cloud.

• Backup your iPhone
  • Then connect it to iTunes and click Summary then Restore iPhone button.
    This step will Restore your iPhone to the latest iOS version; yes, this was what happened exactly.
  • Once the restoration done, just don't check get the data from the backup; choose a new iPhone settings
    You'll get the data once you done. Don't worry.
  • Get the sim card out, wait few seconds then put it back
  • Make a call, if it didn't work try step #1 -> hopefully it will solve the problem
  • Now connect your iPhone to iTunes to get the backup

I wrote that because in case anyone faced this problem.

Iphone 4S ios 8.0.2 can't make calls or texts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.