Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 won't backup to icloud

My husband and I upgraded from iphone 4s to iphone 6. We used to share the same apple id, but ran into an issue where a contact would call him but it would appear on my phone was well. It was suggested to alleviate that issue that we should create a new icloud account. We use our yahoo email as our itunes/main apple id. I created a new icloud account for my iphone, but left the yahoo email as the itunes id. I'm still not able to backup my iphone to icloud. It won't do it automatically and I'm not able to do it manually. There is plenty of space. I have the free 5gb plan and only 2gb to backup. I've read through the communities and internet and itunes/icloud/iphone help, but haven't been successful. My husband's iphone doesn't have any problems backing up. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help!

Anne

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 9:29 AM

This may be caused by a corrupt existing backup that needs to be deleted, or by data on your device that is causing the backup to fail. To troubleshoot these, try deleting your last iCloud backup (if you have one) by going to Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage, tap your device under Backups, then tap Delete Backup and choose Turn Off & Delete at the prompt. Then go to Settings>iCloud>Backup and turn iCloud Backup back on and try backing up again.

If it still won't back up, you may have an app or something in your camera roll that is causing the backup to fail. To locate which one, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage, tap the name of your device under Backups, under Backup Options tap Show All Apps, then turn them all to Off (including camera roll) and try backing up again. If the backup is successful, then the camera roll and/or one of your apps is causing the backup to fail and you'll have to located by process of elimination. Turn the camera roll On and try backing up again. If it succeeds, turn some of your apps to On and try backing up again. If it succeeds again, turn some more apps to On then try again; repeat this process until it fails. Eventually you'll be able to locate the problem app and exclude it from your backup.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2014 9:29 AM in response to mrmousey31

This may be caused by a corrupt existing backup that needs to be deleted, or by data on your device that is causing the backup to fail. To troubleshoot these, try deleting your last iCloud backup (if you have one) by going to Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage, tap your device under Backups, then tap Delete Backup and choose Turn Off & Delete at the prompt. Then go to Settings>iCloud>Backup and turn iCloud Backup back on and try backing up again.

If it still won't back up, you may have an app or something in your camera roll that is causing the backup to fail. To locate which one, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage, tap the name of your device under Backups, under Backup Options tap Show All Apps, then turn them all to Off (including camera roll) and try backing up again. If the backup is successful, then the camera roll and/or one of your apps is causing the backup to fail and you'll have to located by process of elimination. Turn the camera roll On and try backing up again. If it succeeds, turn some of your apps to On and try backing up again. If it succeeds again, turn some more apps to On then try again; repeat this process until it fails. Eventually you'll be able to locate the problem app and exclude it from your backup.

Apr 6, 2015 5:16 PM in response to Rabbit09047822

Don't know if it helps but when my iPhone 6+ wouldn't back up I removed a bunch of apps from the list of backed up app data under Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage that had empty icons (white squares with fine circles and intersecting lines).

After that I manually backed up via Settings>iCloud>Backup>Back Up Now and it worked. No idea why.

I had already followed randers4 advice. It didn't work on its own but may have contributed so you may want to do that first just in case.

Hope this helps.

Jul 21, 2015 12:35 AM in response to mrmousey31

Just as mentioned, in this situation, you may delete some item and then do a backup again. Personally, I like to backup iPhone with iTunes and store my information to my computer due to the limited storage space of iCloud. Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone to the computer. After the phone being detected, click the backup icon and you can choose to backup your data to iCloud or "This computer".

Sep 29, 2015 7:18 AM in response to mrmousey31

Brilliant. I have struggled with this issue for ages. Every time I did a manual backup to the iMac, I seemed to break the auto backup to iCloud. It happened again when I backed up before iOS9. No amount of trying would get it to back up automatically to iCloud….. Until, as suggested, I deleted the backup on the iPhone 6 and with it plugged in and on wi-fi, told it to back up to iCloud. Took less than ten minutes and now shows up on iTunes as backed up to iCloud. The next test will be tomorrow when I check to see if it has backed up to iCloud entirely automatically since. Very helpful. Thank you, Randers4.

Dec 3, 2015 5:48 AM in response to mrmousey31

hy.

this doesnt work for me.

i tried to do it several times and nothing.

i tried all sort of forums solutions and still nothing.

my iphone 6 ios 9.1 won't backup no matter what i try, rather if its an automatic backup (via wifi and pluged into the wall) or via manual backup.

non of the apple solutions works either.

any more suggestions?

iphone 6 won't backup to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.