Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing a ssd with a sshd?

Can the stock ssd on a new MacBook pro 15.4" with retina be replaced with a hybrid ssd (Sshd)? I want upgrade mine. Also if it can will it void the warranty?

THanks for the help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 10:01 AM

5 replies

Sep 28, 2014 10:16 AM in response to Bill_in_BFE_GA

Bill_in_BFE_GA wrote:

Can the stock ssd on a new MacBook pro 15.4" with retina be replaced with a hybrid ssd (Sshd)?...

If by hybrid you mean a hard disk with some solid state storage built in (like this Seagate), the answer is no. As waffleboy1877's link shows, the SSD in the rMBP is a circuit board that plugs into the mother board, not a 2.5" HD, for which there is no room.

May 3, 2015 5:54 PM in response to Bill_in_BFE_GA

The Macbook Pro's come with PCI flash, which can be replaced with something from OWC. Go to OWC and check what they have to offer. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro, which came with the factory 500GB HDD and 8GB of RAM. I immediately upgraded to a 500GB SSD. I am in the process of upgrading my optical drive with a Data Doubler, using the factor 500GB HDD. I was told by an Apple tech to purchase from OWC because they are recommended by Apple and I have never been let down by their excellent service and parts.

Replacing a ssd with a sshd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.