Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboards not working

I have MacBook 13" mid 2007 unfortunately some of the keyboards stopped working, denying me access to log into the Mac.

Any idea/help?

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), nichken

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 11:16 AM

3 replies

Sep 30, 2014 2:22 PM in response to nichken

Hello nichken,

If your keyboard has completely stopped working try following these steps:

- Shut down the computer, restart it by holding the power button.

- Bring it to the nearest Apple Store so they can evaluate and assess the problem.

- Use a mouse to click the password bar, then try every key.

- If you have set up accessibility options, try the onscreen keyboard.

- If you manage to log in, use a bluetooth keyboard, then set accessibility options.

- It is slightly difficult, but not impossible, to repair a laptop keyboard, bring it to a local technology fixer.

Best Wishes, and Good Luck,

MATHOGIE

Feb 18, 2016 3:02 PM in response to nichken

Try this solution 🙂

And here’s the fix that worked for me:

1. Go to System Preferences (you can get there from Mission Control, or the top left Apple icon on your screen, and then click System Preferences.
  2. Go to Keyboard.
  3. Go to the Input Sources tab.
  4. Click the + button (bottom left of window).
  5. Add a new keyboard (preferably of a similar language). We had British running originally, so we added U.S. below it (i.e. you should now have 2 keyboards in the list).
  6. Your “broken” keys should now be working again (try with glee in an open text edit window, or similar).
  7. Feel free to remove your newly added keyboard (i.e. you should just be left with your original keyboard), as the fix should still work. You can do this by selecting the newly added keyboard and clicking the button to remove.

keyboards not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.