Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 update causes keyboard to block text. Annoying!

Since upgrading my iPad (3rd gen.) to iOS 8 there have been issues with the keyboard blocking the text while typing and scrolling. It gets to a point where the screen doesn't automatically scroll down to reveal what I've just typed. I can't see what I'm typing! The issue appears in multiple apps including iMessage, Google Search, Notes, etc.

Any suggestions on how to fix this seriously annoying problem?

I am running the most recent 8.0.2 update.

Thanks!

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 3:39 AM

It sounds like like you might have the split keyboard feature enabled. It is called Split Keyboard in the settings.

If the keyboard is split and covering your text, Pull the two ends of the keyboard together - into the middle of the screen. You can also tap and hold down on the little keyboard icon in the lower right corner of the keyboard and select - Dock and Merge.

If the keyboard is up on the middle of the screen, but not split, and you want to move it back to the bottom - tap and hold down on the little keyboard and icon and select - Dock.

You can turn the split keyboard off in Settings>General>Keyboard>Split Keyboard>Off.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2014 3:39 AM in response to Wobbow

It sounds like like you might have the split keyboard feature enabled. It is called Split Keyboard in the settings.

If the keyboard is split and covering your text, Pull the two ends of the keyboard together - into the middle of the screen. You can also tap and hold down on the little keyboard icon in the lower right corner of the keyboard and select - Dock and Merge.

If the keyboard is up on the middle of the screen, but not split, and you want to move it back to the bottom - tap and hold down on the little keyboard and icon and select - Dock.

You can turn the split keyboard off in Settings>General>Keyboard>Split Keyboard>Off.

Oct 27, 2014 2:32 AM in response to Wobbow

Yep I have the same in 8.1 using the standard built-in keyboard on both iPad Air and iPhone 5. Text input is blocked by the keyboard in many apps and websites and it is not possible to scroll the text so that it is visible.

Rotating from landscape to portrait helps a little but even in this mode the keyboard can still get in the way.

Jan 3, 2015 11:28 AM in response to 65gtotrips

It's STILL NOT FIXED in IOS 8.1.2

dave

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

[QUOTE]

Heya'

I 'think' it's CRAPLOA...due to coders, BS issue REMAINS on iPad is of IOS 8.1.1 (12B435)

...updating to 8.1.2 now...

Don't recall if on iPhone Ver. 8.1.2 (12B440) ? Gonna look 2C....

dave

[END QUOTE]

Apr 20, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Gazz9722

Gazz and everyone else complaining about this: Demos fix DOES work if you follow the instructions. I have had multiple users calling with this same issue that swear they've changed the settings, but then they don't do this step: Hold your finger on the little keyboard until the menu pops up and slide your finger up to "Dock".
It works, problem solved.

iOS 8 update causes keyboard to block text. Annoying!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.