Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery discharge with iOS 8.0.2

I'm using iPhone 5 with iOS 8.0.2 installed. Since I updated to 8.0.2 version, my battery discharge in several hours (less than 7 hours) in sleep mode. In case of any activities battery life is approximately 3-4 hours. Before I upgraded to iOS 8, with iOS 7 battery life was approximately 48 hours with average activity.

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 11:16 PM

15 replies

Sep 30, 2014 12:49 AM in response to gerbreder

Hi, we are all suffering the same issue which is caused by background cellular activity. Throughout the user iPhone community (and all over the wider internet) the remedies proposed by Apple of restart, reset, restore from backup, restore as new device seem not to work.

In my case, I updated to 8.0.2 Sunday, and have been burning through a full charge in under 4 hours, this despite the fact that I have turned off cellular data for virtually all apps other than mail, phone, whatsapp and messaging. I do not expects the smartphone battery to last for ever, it would be nice to get through the day.

Having done some further research I have however noticed that 30% of total battery power over the past 24 hours has been used by Calendar and 27% by Contacts (both of which are linked to either my iCloud account or 2 Exchange accounts). This is about double the average of the last 7 days (about 15% each) and I suspect explains some of the problem.

Apple? any ideas? Is 8.0.3 on its way, hopefully?

Sep 30, 2014 1:18 AM in response to gerbreder

I found a solution to my battery drain on my iPhone 5 with iOS 8.0.2!!! May work for other phones too.

Go to settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone

Leave the "Send Last Location" OFF! It seems to constantly be active and drains your battery.

I was losing 1% every 2-3 minutes even when I turned everything down to minimal functionality.

Much, much better now after I turned off that feature. Stayed at 100% for 30 minutes straight now while using iMessage.

Hope this helps.

Sep 30, 2014 10:05 AM in response to Manukas3

There doesn't appewr to be an iOS problem pertaining to battery usage on my iPhone. When a big update is released, especially one with many new features, many things are turned on that an individual user may not want on. That is why it is important to go through Settings to determine what is using the battery and what can be turned off.

Sep 30, 2014 10:22 AM in response to Manukas3

You aren't wrong. iOS 8 didn't have this battery problem. I updated the evening 8.0.2 came out and the battery was drained more than 15% overnight. When I went to bed, it was at 100% after having the iPhone 5S plugged in all evening. That simply didn't happen on iOS 8.

If iOS 8.0.2 caused DropBox (and possibly other apps) to cause battery-draining issues, that's not the fault of the app or the user, it's the fault of the update, and it needs to be fixed.

To repeat: iOS 8, with all it's new features, didn't cause a battery drain. iOS 8.0.2 with NO new features (since it was a point upgrade) caused a battery drain. Also I think the phone may be getting a bit hot, too.

Oct 13, 2014 2:47 AM in response to gerbreder

Same with me: I updated my original iPhone 5 to iOS 8 without any issues and battery life more than 24hrs. Then I upgraded to iOS 8.0.2 and suddenly the battery was empty within 6-7 hrs!! I switched off everything I could, and even without using the phone at all the battery was empty within hours!

The same with my iPad3 ...

I downgraded to iOS 8 last night, restored the apps and data from backup and it seems better now.

Battery discharge with iOS 8.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.