Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no trash icon when displaying photo in ios8/photos

I have an iPhone 6 with iOS 8 and Photos. I can find no way of deleting photos I no longer need. Some of the photos show a trash icon when displayed fullscreen but others have no trash icon. There seems to be no clue as to which photos have the icon and which do not. Some of the photos without a trash icon were taken with the iPhone; some were sync'd from my iPhoto library on the Mac. There's nothing consistent.

Editing the photo only allows a duplicate to be created and with no subsequent function to delete either it or the original.

I can find nothing in the Apple Support web site about this.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 11:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 2:01 AM

Synced photos can only be deleted by syncing again; the Trash icon is not available. See: Syncing photos using iTunes

You should be able to delete photos taken with your device, edited or not. Are you trying to delete from the "Photos" tab?

You can delete large batches of photos using the "Photos" tab in Moments view. Click the "Select" button while viewing the lists of moments, click "Select" to the right of the moments you want to remove, and delete the selected "Moments" by pressing the Trash icon.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2014 2:01 AM in response to travellerva

Synced photos can only be deleted by syncing again; the Trash icon is not available. See: Syncing photos using iTunes

You should be able to delete photos taken with your device, edited or not. Are you trying to delete from the "Photos" tab?

You can delete large batches of photos using the "Photos" tab in Moments view. Click the "Select" button while viewing the lists of moments, click "Select" to the right of the moments you want to remove, and delete the selected "Moments" by pressing the Trash icon.

Sep 29, 2014 7:40 AM in response to travellerva

However, a couple of the photos I want to delete were taken on the iPhone and should have gone into the photo stream but didm't, even though I've been on WiFi.

Perhaps you did not close the Camera.app after taking the Photos? The Photo Stream will only start to upload, when you close the camera, not just switch to the Photos.app. And the iPhone needs to be properly charged. When the battery is getting low, photo stream will be paused to save battery power.

Or are the photos "Burst" photos? Then it will depend on your settings for "Photos&Camera > Upload Burst Photos" if you can upload them at all.

Sep 29, 2014 9:30 AM in response to léonie

Thanks again. It's certainly possible I didn't close the camera app after taking the photos, but the battery has always been close to fully charged and the camera app has been closed at some point since I took the photos. If they haven't been uploaded to Photo Stream so far, will they be uploaded now? Or is it too late? I must admit, it's very confusing between syncing to iPhoto albums and Photo Stream and knowing whether a particular photo was taken with this device or some other etc. etc.

I don;t know what Burst Photos are, I'm afraid.

Sep 29, 2014 11:00 AM in response to travellerva

If they haven't been uploaded to Photo Stream so far, will they be uploaded now? Or is it too late?

The photos are supposed to upload, as soon as it is possible.

About Burst photos (rapid-fire shots): iPhone User Guide iOS8

Take Burst shots: (iPhone 5s or later) Touch and hold the Take Picture button to take rapid-fire photos in bursts (available while in Square or Photo mode). The shutter sound is different, and the counter shows how many shots you’ve taken, until you lift your finger. To see the suggested shots and select the photos you want to keep, tap the thumbnail, then tap Select. The gray dot(s) mark the suggested photos. To copy a photo from the burst as a separate photo in your Bursts album in Photos, tap the circle in the lower-right corner of the photo. To delete the burst of photos, tap it, then tap the trash icon.

no trash icon when displaying photo in ios8/photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.