Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2.5 Inch Hard Drive - New Hitachi High Speed Experience and Questions

I recently purchased a new Hitachi 500GB drive to replace an old drive in a 2009 mid year MacBook. I’m impressed with the seemingly incredible performance of the drive, but have some questions.

The original drive was OEM and it was a Fujitsu MHZ2160BH FFS G1 which was a 160GB drive that came with the system. Recently I started getting slow-downs with it so I used Scannerz to perform a drive test on it. Scannerz found a few, not many, bad blocks and a bunch of weak sectors surrounding them. Their manual include some instructions to use Disk Utility to reformat and zero the drive which may or may not fix the problems. This drive is already five years old, so I just figured why waste time on trying to repair something that’s really old enough it might be on its way out anyway.

I considered replacing it with an SSD but the prices for comparable or bigger drives really can’t be warranted on a MacBook this old because they really aren’t worth that much any more - you can get them on eBay in good condition for about $200 or less. The system, however, still works fine. Only the drive is having problems and that’s after five years.

I did some searching and found an Hitachi HGST HTS725050A7E630 on sale locally for just over $50. Its a 500GB HD SATA 7200 RPM drive. I included a bunch of links for stuff mentioned here at the bottom of this post. You can see the specs there.

In any case, I wanted to make sure the new drive was OK so I installed it and started a scan on it using Scannerz. I figured this would take hours to run so I started the scan, left for a few minutes while I got soda, and thought I’d make one last check before leaving it alone to do the test on the drive. I figured when I got back Scannerz would have gone through about 4 or 5 GB, but instead it was at about 12 GB. I thought something was wrong.

I started a retest and the drive was hauling like I’d never seen an actual hard drive move before. I thought maybe the big cache was fooling Scannerz, so I got a copy Black Magic Disk Speed Test and was really, really surprised to see how fast this thing is. Scannerz tests for errors and other problems, so it doesn’t report speed data directly.

I expected to see a performance improvement, but I expected the improvement be caused by the rotational speed of the drive. The old Fujitsu drive ran at 5400 RPM and the new Hitachi runs at 7200. I expected the improvement to be on the order of 7200/5400.

What I did was a set of tests on both the old Fujitsu and the new Hitachi. I also used an old program named Xbench to get some results. It’s quite old but if you use only the disk testing mode it still works. In any case, here’s what I got results wise:

NEW HITACHI:

Time to do 0-10 GB scan using Scannerz: 1 min 13.93 sec (73.93 sec)

Black Magic Disk Speed Test Write speed: 116.1 MB/sec

Black Magic Disk Speed Test Read speed: 120.8 MB/sec

Xbench Uncached Write (256K blocks): 117.29 MB/sec

Xbench Uncached Read (256K blocks): 96.86 MB/sec

OLD FUJITSU:

Time to do 0-10 GB scan using Scannerz: 2 min 39.65 sec (159.65 sec)

Black Magic Disk Speed Test Write speed: 47.5MB/sec

Black Magic Disk Speed Test Read speed: 46.6 MB/sec

Xbench Uncached Write (256K blocks): 37.44 MB/sec

Xbench Uncached Read (256K blocks): 44.67 MB/sec

These obviously aren’t SSD speeds, but considering the price and the fact I now have a 500GB new drive, the speed difference is impressive. The tests aren’t averages, they’re just one shots to see how big the difference was. I suppose if I wanted to do a real test I’d take lots of measurements and do averages, but the differences are obvious and far exceed the 7200/5400 ratio I thought I’d see.

Some other notes:

1. The Hitachi is incredibly thin. DO NOT PUSH ON IT’S CASE AT ALL! I had a friend that did that and he ruined the drive. You’re not supposed to do that anyway, but in this case it absolutely has to be taken seriously. Handle it only by the edges.

2. The Hitachi drive has an “AF” label on it indicating it’s using 4K sectors natively but emulating 512 byte sectors. At least that’s what I think it means. I’m not sure if this is why the performance difference is so high.

3. Some people have questioned whether or not the 7200 RPM drives would cause heating and fans coming on in some posts. From my experience with this disk, the answer is a definite “no.” In fact I’d say fans on the system come on less.

4. If you look for one of these, make sure you get the right model number. Hitachi was making an earlier version with an 8 MB buffer instead of a 32MB buffer like this one has. I have no idea how that drive performs compared to this one. I assume this is Hitachi’s latest and greatest.

What I would like to know is why the speed difference? In use this thing is surprising fast. Obviously not as fast as an SSD but for 50 bucks and 500GB of storage I can’t complain. Is it because of the advanced format or is there some other technology at play?

Any comments are welcome, particularly those that may tell me whether we can see HDs continue to get even faster.

Links:

New Hitachi HD specs:http://www.hgst.com/hard-drives/mobile-drives/7mm-thin-and-light-drives/travelst ar-z7k500

Specs for old Fujitsu: http://vb.net/products/FUJITSU/fujMHZfam_ds.pdf

Scannerz: http://scsc-online.com/Scannerz.html

Black Magic Speed Test: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-disk-speed-test/id425264550?mt=12

Xbench: http://www.xbench.com

Xbench seems to have been sort of abandoned since Tiger but if you uncheck all the options except the drive testing option it can still report.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 2:33 AM

169 replies

Sep 29, 2014 3:43 AM in response to Fred1956

I have 5 Hitachi drives that I use for cloning my internal SSD - they're fine disks.

SSDs, of course, are already faster than spinning drives - so are Hybrid drives (with a bit of SSD mixed with a large spinning platter). There are, of course, enterprise drives that run faster than 7200rpm and I think that you can expect those speeds to come to the consumer in the future. But as great as SSDs are, I don't see them replacing spinning drives for servers, etc. It's not that they're not durable - they're still just too expensive for the capacity needed when compared with SSDs.

Your Hitachi is probably perceivably faster because of several factors, advanced technology and a higher spin rate. Glad that you like it!

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X 10.??, 16GB Crucial RAM, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

Sep 29, 2014 11:20 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

The increase in speed could be a few things:

1. The fact that it's an advance format 4K sector drive.

2. The increased rotational speed.

3.. Possibly compression (speculation on my part) but on the fly data compression

Item 3 is something some SSD manufacturers were considering. If I understand it properly data would be compressed on the fly before being written to an SSD. For an SSD it's a bigger deal because it cuts down on the number of write cycles which are limited, plus it allows manufacturers to advertise the drive as being bigger because they can squeeze more bytes of compressed data onto the same surface.

Now if you take this little theory of mine and apply it to a regular HD, you end up storing more data per sector than you normally would. For example, lets say you write one sector of data to your old Fujitsu and it took 1 ms. If they could compress data on the Hitachii, then maybe they could write twice as much in the same time. The result would be what appears to be a much faster drive.

I see no reason why an HD manufacturer wouldn't do this. Maybe they are already, but if this was a newly implemented feature it could explain the 2:1 data rate ratio.

SSDs don't particularly impress me. They're a great asset if you constantly use lots and lots of heavy drive I/O, but most people don't. I had a 120G SSD in one of my systems and found I ended up having to "manage" it all the time. Not enough space...go in, delete this, delete that, backup this, backup that. It got tiresome. It was like I was living in the '80s again. Most applications once loaded are cached in RAM and after a first start most activity is right out of RAM anyway which is faster than an SSD. I don't hate SSDs I just think maybe they're being a bit over-hyped for what they do and how long they last (another story).

Sep 29, 2014 3:48 PM in response to Fred1956

I noticed that even though the drive has an "AF" label on it, when I checked with the command line version of diskutil with the "info" option on the drive, it said it's 512 bytes/sector. I assume this is running in emulation mode.

When I formatted the drive I don't remember being asked to format it as 512 byte or 4K sectors. Is it possible to format this drive under a Mac to use 4K sectors instead of 512 byte sectors? I would think emulation mode is slowing it down a little.

Also, will 4K sectors now become the default for all drives?

Sep 30, 2014 11:37 AM in response to Fred1956

I don't know about formatting but I think that with 512e mode emulation it just allocates a 4K junk and then sequentially fills it in with 8 512 byte chunks of data, leaving any odd left overs untouched. It really shouldn't affect anything because the block size used by the OS is usually 4K anyway. The only things that would be block sensitive were things doing low level raw access where they deliberately assigned a block size of 512.

Oct 3, 2014 11:48 AM in response to R.K.Orion

I suspect the power consumption is lower. The drive is the thinnest drive I've every seen in my life. I would say the body is about the width of 2 or 3 credit cards stacked. I haven't really been listening deliberately for fans but if they came on more often I think I'd be aware of it because it's sow obvious. I would have to say no, they aren't or don't seem to be consuming more power. The box said something about it being super efficient.

Oct 3, 2014 11:56 AM in response to Fred1956

There are 2 main reasons your drive is faster, the most important is the 300% increase in Areal Density of the drive (more data storage in the same physical space means that everything is closer together), the second is the 35% increase in rotational speed. The rest of the things mentioned are minor in comparison.

Oct 3, 2014 4:28 PM in response to Csound1

I found the areal density of the Hitachi from the specs as 630 Gbits/sq.in.

I couldn't see that in the Fujitsu specs so I did a search for the areal density of that drive model number and found this link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-macbook-laptop,2130-10.htm

which states the Fujitsu has a density of 254 Gbits/sq. in.

So basically, if a drive were to read data off both drives for, say a 1 inch of a track it would read 630/254 more bits on the Hitachi than it would on the Fujitsu. For example, if the Fujitsu read 1Gb in that time the Hitachi would read 2.48 Gb, and it would take less time for the Hitachi to do so because it's rotating faster.

Interestingly, if I take the read data for the Black Magic Speed Test for both I have from my first post, 120.8MB for the Hitachi and 46.6MB for the Fujitsu, and this yields:

120.8/46.6 = 2.49, which is an almost exact match for the estimation above, but there's no adjustment for the increased speed. I would almost have to wonder if the 512e emulation isn't slowing the thing down, because theoretically that number should actually be higher.

In any case it's still a fast drive.

Regarding power consumption:

I also got the power specs on the Fujitsu as:

Seek requires 2.2W

Read/Write uses 1.9W

Idle is 0.85W

From the Hitachi specs I got:

Seek requires 2.1W

Read/Write uses 1.8W

Idle is 0.8W

So that probably explains why the drive isn't causing the fans to run more. The Hitachi isn't consuming any more power than the Fujitsu, slightly less in fact.

Correction: In my previous post I stated the drive probably wasn't as wide as a few credit cards. I probably should have said it isn't as thick as 2 or 3 credit cards stacked.

Oct 26, 2014 11:29 AM in response to Fred1956

That HD is inside the realm of SATA I, which is pretty impressive.

From Wikipedia:

• 2.1 SATA revision 1.0 - 1.5 Gbit/s - 150 MB/s
  • 2.2 SATA revision 2.0 - 3 Gbit/s - 300 MB/s
  • 2.3 SATA revision 3.0 - 6 Gbit/s - 600 MB/s
  • 2.4 SATA revision 3.1
  • 2.5 SATA revision 3.2 - 16 Gbit/s - 1969 MB/s

• A lot of people mistakenly think of HD speed as the cache to logic board data rate which will often be that of the interface, but in this case it's possible that the transfer rate from the HD platters to the system could actually be bottlenecked by a SATA I system - imagine that!!

Oct 27, 2014 2:51 AM in response to Csound1

Functionally, it's pushing the limit…not quite there, but pushing the limit. From a cost comparison with SSDs it's tens of dollars per hundreds of gigabytes vs. hundreds of dollars for SSDs.

One thing I've never understood is why hard drive manufacturers don't use bigger caches. The 32M is by todays standards, for consumer drives, large, but it's really tiny. Why not 1GB or something like that. Unless someone was really hammering the system with new application launches it would basically cache the core OS in most cases. How many people are really hammering their systems with gigabytes of data transfers over a period of minutes? Not too many, I would think.

2.5 Inch Hard Drive - New Hitachi High Speed Experience and Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.