Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5s stuck in recovery mode after 8.0.2

i installed 8.0.2 early Friday morning over the air while i was sleeping, it installed fine. i wake up Sunday morning 9/28 with my phone automatically in recovery mode around 10am, my phone was last working around 645am because i had a text message but i digress.ive taken all the steps to reset my phone ie holding down the power and home buttons for 10 sec's and dfu mode to no avail. i contacted apple chat was with a person for 3 hrs we cleared the host ports, used a different cables, used a different computer, used multiple usb ports thinking usb 3.0 was the issue. after all of that i was told i may need to take my phone to the genius bar to be looked at and that i may receive a new phone if they cant fix this one, i had this same issue when i installed 8.0 i waited out the issue and was apple to recover my phone but it seems like this isnt working. anyone else having a similar issue? also my phone gets hot too while being plugged in now never been dropped or gotten water in it either. any help would be appreciated

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 2:03 AM

15 replies

Oct 1, 2014 2:17 PM in response to djkrave

My Iphone 5s is also stuck in the dreaded recovery loop. Restore does not work, I have tried everything under the sun. Sometimes it will go through the entire restore right down to the firmware step and give error code 12. I have tried different computers, different cables, removing the sim card, everything...If anyone has a suggestion that might save me I would be most grateful.

Oct 2, 2014 6:38 AM in response to wentzlover21

Fui estafado por Apple. Vivo en Argentina. A fines del mes de junio compre en Miami un iphone 5S. Hace unos dias al bajar al actualizacion IOS 8 , el telefono comenzo a funcionar muy mal. Al intentar bajar la actualizacion 8.0.2 para restaurar el telefono por eI I tunes, el telefono dejo de funcionar definitivamente. Aqui comenzo la cuestion. Comunicaciones interminables con soporte tecnico en Mexico y USA. El telefono no funciono mas. Genere multiples reclamos y todavia sigo esperando una respuesta. La atencion es muy mala. Nadie se hace responsable. Es de un telefonoa otro , musica, a otro, mas musica y nunca una respuesta util e inteligente.

Llame hoy otra vez y me daran un TURNO para atnederme para el reemplazo del equipo.

Es una verguenza la atencion al cliente y el servicio tecnico de un producto defectuoso como el IOS 8 el que curiosamente en menos de una semana ya sufrio dos actualizaciones o parches por lo monumentales errores que tenia.

Aviso esto para las personas para que esten atentas y reclamen sus derechos como consumidores frente a esta empresa que no tiene la minima calidad de atencion para con sus clientes/usuarios.

Alejandro

Oct 2, 2014 8:05 AM in response to kleesmom383

I relayed my experience to my Apple Care rep, whom I had been dealing with during the entire ordeal. He called the Apple store and got me in ahead of all the existing Genius appointments to swap out my device. I lost all of my data, all my photos and texts - voice mails from my Grandmother (who has since passed). At least I have a working phone, and the level of customer service was just beyond my expectations. I believe this is a widespread issue and a bug fix or workaround has not been identified. Best of Luck getting yours solved!

Oct 6, 2014 3:10 AM in response to wentzlover21

Same problem.

Initially my issue was with no cell signal with 8.02.

My local retail store was useless with a 6 day wait for a genius bar appointment.

Online support was prompt but they were unable to help and had to escalate to a senior engineer in Greece.

I sent him various diagnostic tests and screenshots and after following his instructions, my iphone 5S is now also stuck in recovery mode.

I have been in touch with him and I'm waiting on his response...

Oct 9, 2014 10:06 AM in response to wentzlover21

I have basically the same problem. I haven't used my phone for over a week now because it's stuck in this loop. In my case, I've been able to restore the phone a number of times but soon after I get it set up again, it just dies again and goes back to the loop.

I went to my local Apple store and had an meeting with a genius. He spent some time looking at it... We actually got it to restore and die again right in front of him.. but he had no idea what was wrong with it. He told me it's no longer under warranty so I have to buy a new phone. I told him about all the people I've read about on threads just like this but he didn't seem interested. I can't believe I'd be expected to buy a new phone for what is obviously a problem caused by these iOS 8 patches. There are so many people having the exact same problem for the exact same reason.

I have an iPhone 5 (32gb).

At this point, I'm just going without a phone.. which is very unfortunate because we're in a terribly hectic cycle at work and I'm basically impossible to contact out of the office now. I'm getting tired of hearing people tell me I should go by an Android phone.

I've never had a problem with an Apple product before. Would there be any use of contacting Apple support via phone after already having met with a genius?

Oct 9, 2014 10:43 AM in response to N-oksanka

I spoke to a different technician in Greece who advised me to go to an Apple Store and see someone at the Genius Bar. I was told that this would be another five day wait. I told them that was unacceptable and sent an e-mail back complaining. I CCd Tim Cook in on this e-mail and then went to the Apple store and insisted on an appointment there and then. Initially they were unwilling to help me but relented after I quoted the Sale of Goods Act 1979 to them (applies to UK only). I had to come back an hour later but when I did, the Genius was very helpful. She barely looked at my phone and then exchanged my phone for a brand new one (with 16 days left on the warranty) and updated the software there and then. OS 8.02 worked fine on the new phone and I restored from backup when I got home (slight trepidation both times). All been fine since.

I have been using Apple products since 1990 and although I'm still a fan, I feel that they are currently let down by poor after sales support. A 5 day wait to look at a problem caused by their software update is unacceptable.

iphone 5s stuck in recovery mode after 8.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.