Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Securely delete data from Emac

I am trying to clean up an old Emac for family member so that it can be disposed of.

I have looked at Disk Utility but there does not appear to be a free space "scrubber" so not sure how to make sure disk is clean for disposal. We do not have the original OSX disk that would have been supplied with the machine when purchased.

Forum has always come up trumps before - thanks!

Emac-OTHER, iOS 3.0

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 6:43 AM

If you want to securely erase the data, you need to do more than just erase free space anyway.

We do not have the original OSX disk that would have been supplied with the machine when purchased.

That fact precludes using Disk Utility to completely erase the disk's contents. However, if you have serious concerns regarding the information it contains, the only method I rely upon is to physically remove the hard disk drive from the eMac's case and destroy it. Use appropriate eye and ear protection.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2014 6:43 AM in response to roadrunner888

If you want to securely erase the data, you need to do more than just erase free space anyway.

We do not have the original OSX disk that would have been supplied with the machine when purchased.

That fact precludes using Disk Utility to completely erase the disk's contents. However, if you have serious concerns regarding the information it contains, the only method I rely upon is to physically remove the hard disk drive from the eMac's case and destroy it. Use appropriate eye and ear protection.

Securely delete data from Emac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.