Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a roaming network with AirPort

This weekend I set up an Airport Extreme as the primary base station and two Airport Expresses to establish an extended roaming network. Instructions on this site [Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations ] said to, via Ethernet, connect the AP Extreme to the modem via the WAN port on the Extreme then, via Ethernet, connect the AP Extreme from the LAN ports to the AP Express on the WAN port. The only difference is that I have a 10/100/1000 gigabyte switch in between the AP Extreme and the AP Express.

The AirPort Utility (Windows and iPad) would not recognize the AP Expresses until I changed the Ethernet cable from WAN to LAN on the AP Express. Only then was I able to configure the network -- hopefully correctly. If I attempt to change the cable back to the WAN port on the AP Express, I loose contact with it.

I just want a simple roaming wireless network in my home which is old and big, thus the three units. However, I'm not sure if this setup will work correctly and if so, I lose the LAN port on each AP Express which I had hoped to use with devices at their respective locations.

Thoughts?

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 10:03 AM

17 replies

Sep 29, 2014 10:28 AM in response to kevrenee235

Unfortunately, one of the problems that you have is that you are trying to use a 3+ year old Apple support document that bears almost no resemblence to AirPort Utility on an iPad.

The utility on the iPad will automatically configure the Express devices to work correctly in a roaming configuration (Apple calls this "extend using Ethernet")

Everything will work just fine if you connect the Ethernet cabling to the WAN ports on the AirPort Express devices, and you will be able to use the LAN port on each Express for another Ethernet device, or connect an Ethernet switch if you need more than one port.

Something is wrong if the network will not work when the Ethernet cabling is connected to the WAN port(s) on the Express devices.

Since the iPad is much simpler to use for setup, I would recommend that you start over again on each Express and set it up again. The utility will literally configure everything for you....all that you have to do is enter a device name for each Express.

Sep 29, 2014 10:58 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob. Before I switch the cables, should I set the AP Expresses back to factory settings via the iPad (assuming that is possible) or use the reset button on the back to each to reset them? And do I need to reconfigure the AP Extreme in any way so that it recognizes the AP Expresses or does something else need to be set up on the Extreme?

If the Ethernet cabling still does not work when connected to the WAN ports on the Express - after I try this tonight - I'll check back with you.

Sep 29, 2014 11:13 AM in response to kevrenee235

I assume that the AirPort Extreme is functioning normally, if you test it alone, correct?

if yes, power off one of the AirPort Express devices.

Leave the other Express powered on, but disconnect any Ethernet cables that might be connected for now

Hold in the reset button on the back of the AirPort Express for 8-10 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN port on the Express

On the iPad home screen....

Tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Tap on AirPort Express under the heading of Setup a New AirPort Base Station

The setup utility will open up and take a minute to analyze the network configuration, then announce that the Express will be configured to "extend" the AirPort Extreme wireless network.

Enter a device name that you want to use for the Express......example Express1....or similar and tap Next

Now watch the screen carefully to confirm that the message will change to indicate that the Express is being setup to "extend using Ethernet"

When you see the message of Setup Complete, tap Done.

That's it. check the Express to make sure the wireless is now operating and well as the LAN port.

Then, power up and configure the other Express exactly the same way, except give it different name like Express2 to keep things straight

Sep 29, 2014 7:35 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob - No luck! Once reset, the iPad recognized the AP Express to be setup but when I tapped it, it seemed to analyze the network but then gave me an error message "An unexpected error occurred. Try again." I switched the Ethernet cable back to LAN and the iPad opened up the AP Express without an error message. However, the error message came back when I tried to go further.

I set it back up as it was using Windows.

I only tried to reconfigure one AP Express. When the first did not work I didn't want to risk it on the second.

What should I do now? Both AP Expresses are set up with the Ethernet in the LAN port and the green lights are lit and solid. The AP Extreme seems to be working fine. It gives me a good wireless signal and the computer hard-wired to the one of its LAN parts has Internet access. Could there be a wrong setting on the Extreme that is not allowing the Expresses to be configured over Ethernet and their WAN ports?

This is all starting to get above my pay grade!

I'll take any suggestions. Thanks

Sep 29, 2014 8:08 PM in response to kevrenee235

Very strange. I cannot duplicate the error that you are reporting. Tried with 3 different Express devices and each configured perfectly.

If the Expresses will only work when you have the Ethernet plugged into the LAN port, then there may be an incorrect setting on the Express that needs to be checked/adjusted.

It is possible....but not likely....that the WAN ports on the Expresses are not working correctly. We see a bad WAN port now and then, but two in a row would be very unusual.

I am not clear on what version of AirPort Utility that you used to setup the Expresses. Is that AirPort Utility for Windows?

Sep 30, 2014 5:49 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I originally set up the Extreme and the Expresses with AirPort Utility for Windows. When I was unsuccessful with the iPad trying to reconfigure the Expresses, I went back to Windows. I do have a Mac Mini that is currently offline as I try to reconfigure my homes wireless. I could set that back up and try the AirPort Utility on the Mini.

And when you wrote above: "If the Expresses will only work when you have the Ethernet plugged into the LAN port, then there may be an incorrect setting on the Express that needs to be checked/adjusted." did you mean the setting on the Extreme or Express? Maybe I should start from scratch completely, reset the Extreme, and reconfigure it and the Expresses with either iPad utility or the Mini's AirPort Utility. Thoughts?

Sep 30, 2014 6:23 AM in response to kevrenee235

If the Expresses will only work when you have the Ethernet plugged into the LAN port, then there may be an incorrect setting on the Express that needs to be checked/adjusted." did you mean the setting on the Extreme or Express?

AirPort Express.

Using AirPort Utility for Windows, please check a few settings on each AirPort Express.

Open up the AirPort Utility, click on one Express, and click Manual Setup

Click the Wireless tab below the row of icons at the top of the AirPort Utility window

Check to make sure that the setting for Wireless Mode is Create a Wireless Network

The name of the wireless network should exactly match the name of the AirPort Extreme network

Next, click the Internet icon at the top of the window

Click the Internet Connection tab just below the Internet icon

The setting for Connect Using should be Ethernet, or it might be DHCP

The setting for Connection Sharing must be Off (Bridge Mode)

Click the Update button at the lower right of the window and wait a full minute for the Express to restart

Repeat the same sequence above on the other AirPort Express

Then power off the AirPort Extreme and both AirPort Express devices

Wait a minute

Move the Ethernet connection on both Express devices to the WAN port

Power up the AirPort Extreme and let it run a minute

Power up one AirPort Express and let it run a minute

Power up the other AirPort Express

Check to see if the LAN port will now allow you connect an Ethernet device

Sep 30, 2014 9:56 AM in response to Bob Timmons

This may seem elemental, but there are no power switches on the devices. How do I power them off other than unplugging the power cords?

Also, I noticed on one of the screens for the AirPort utility for Windows for the Extreme a check box for "allow this network to be extended" or something to that effect. The old documentation that I was working off of did not have that box checked. Should it be?

Sep 30, 2014 10:50 AM in response to kevrenee235

To power off an AirPort router....you can....

Pull the power cord from the back of the AirPort

Pull the power cord from a wall AC jack

Use a switched AC wall outlet

If you only need to restart an AirPort, you can do that from the AirPort Utility.....Base Station menu at the top of the screen....then Restart. Not sure if Apple has the screenshot problem on the forums fixed yet, but we'll try again.

User uploaded file

Also, I noticed on one of the screens for the AirPort utility for Windows for the Extreme a check box for "allow this network to be extended" or something to that effect. The old documentation that I was working off of did not have that box checked. Should it be?

That box only needs to be checked if the AirPort Express devices are connecting using wireless. You are connecting the AirPort Express devices using Ethernet.

It won't hurt to enter a check mark in the box, but it won't help anything either unless you plan to add another AirPort that will extend by using wireless only.

If the WAN / LAN port setup still does not work after you perform the steps that I listed above, it is time to start to suspect that you have two AirPort Express devices both with bad WAN ports.

That would be unusual, but bad product runs do happen. I once went through three AirPort Express devices with bad WAN ports before the fourth sample (in a completely different serial number range) worked.

Sep 30, 2014 6:21 PM in response to kevrenee235

Bob - so far so good. I followed the steps above and have solid green lights on the AP Extreme and both AP Expresses. Both AP Expresses show up on the AirPort Utility for Windows and my iPad. I've run out of time tonight to hook up a laptop to the LAN ports on the Expresses to check them out - but I'll let you know. Thanks again for your help. Either way, I'll let you know after a few weeks whether everything is working.

Setting up a roaming network with AirPort

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.