Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internal modem (v92) on a 56K mac mini

I got this mac secondhand a few weeks ago. I can get my internet to work plugging it directly into the LAN part in the modem in the hallway through the telephone connection on the mac. I'd like to make the internal modem work on another simple phone connection in another room with no additional modem. Does anyone know if this is possible? if so any tips how? thank you

Mac mini, OSX tiger

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 1:31 PM

What model Mini?

How to identify Mac mini models

Just what are you connecting and to what port on the Mini?

Early Minis had

Optional or Integrated Airport Extreme 802.11b/g

10/100 Base-T Ethernet

Optional or Integrated 56k V.92 modem

Optional or Integrated Bluetooth 1.1

The ethernet port is larger than a modem port.

6 replies

Sep 29, 2014 1:37 PM in response to Sweetcheeks1

Don't know exactly what you're doing, but MacMini's do not have built in modems or telephone connections (with the exception of the 2005 MacMinis). They have a single Ethernet port.

To use a telephone connection, you would normally need an external USB modem and an Internet Provider that was still offering a dial-up service.

Sep 30, 2014 1:07 AM in response to lllaass

thanks for replying. I have a modem cable plugged into the telephone socket on the mac and also directly into the telephone socket on the wall of my house. However when I type in my phone number and service provide it says connecting for a while then fails to connect.

It does work through the LAN socket on the external modem that provides wifi for the other macs devices in my home.

Sep 30, 2014 1:37 AM in response to Sweetcheeks1

I would contact you provider for the connection problem.

Better yet I would get a lan cable and just use that. Get an eithernet switch if necessary if you do not have an open ethernt port on the router.

Dial up is really to slow for most things

Here are some switches

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/networking/hubs-switches/abcat0503012.c?id=abcat0503 012

Sep 30, 2014 1:50 AM in response to Sweetcheeks1

Mac minis have not come with internal modems for many, many years. They for about ten years have only come with an Ethernet socket. To a lot of ordinary users an Ethernet port does look superficially like a Modem socket and even the name is some what similar. The name of the socket/connector for the Modem port is RJ11, and the name for the Ethernet socket/connector is RJ45.

See this Apple page for a picture of an old Mac mini which has both an internal modem and an Ethernet socket. Mac mini (Power PC): external ports and connectors

If your model does indeed have the same two connectors side by side as per the above then yes it does have a modem. If it look more like one of these http://www.resourcesforlife.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/20120215we-apple-m ac-mini-display-ports-619x765.jpg then it does not have an internal modem.

internal modem (v92) on a 56K mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.