Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Messages to stop sending from my email address instead of my phone number?

I've had several people tell me that texts I've sent from my iPhone have been showing up as <myemailadd>@mac.com instead of my phone number. It started doing that under iOS7. I don't want my email address sent with my phone-originated texts. I don't want my email address broadcast to people that shouldn't have it.

So what do I need to change to make sure that phone texts originate from my phone number, home texts show my email address, and both are viewable on both my iPhone and iMac?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 2:13 PM

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Select your phone number under "Start new conversations from."

22 replies

Jan 6, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Chuck Gray

This did not work for me on iphone 5S there is no "send/receipt" after tapping setting, messages,

I continually have an email address and phone number for each persons name when I go to "text" how do I remove this.

Also widgets appear on the opening screen after I swipe to the right "edit" comes up; you tap, widgets appear, I don't want this either.

Sep 29, 2014 2:38 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

I have FaceTime fully disabled so I'm not worried about that.

I went into the iMessage settings and saw where I could sign my Apple ID out, I presume that was what you meant? I did that, and before signing back in I decided to try to send and receive texts. Lo and behold, they're showing up with just my phone number as the originator on some test devices I have around me. Blue bubbles too, which means they're coming through the Apple servers not SMS. Unfortunately, none of my test messages are showing up on my iMac, so for some reason iMessage isn't talking to Messages on the iMac.

Sep 29, 2014 2:56 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

I think its fixed. I had to sign iMessages in on my Apple ID, but then deselect my email addresses to make it behave the way it should. Now if I could get iMessage to only send response alerts to the last device I used, instead of late night texts going to every device I own in the house and waking everyone up.

For some reason, the free iCloud address I automatically received (when Apple was trying to force people to leave Mac.com) is "hardwired" into iMessage. People were also getting texts from that address even though I was on my phone. I tried to delete it but iOS tells me I can't. I don't use that address, I won't ever use it, too bad I can't make it go away.

Sep 29, 2014 4:40 PM in response to Chuck Gray

No, now its worse. I just received an iMessage from a friend. It went to my iMac but not my iPhone. Now I have a second iMessage icon showing up at the top of my dock (I have it installed on the right edge of my screen not the bottom), and it has a little thing grafted on to it that looks like an iPhone. Clicking on it does nothing. If my iPhone goes to sleep the second icon vanishes.

What the heck is going on with this thing?

How do I get Messages to stop sending from my email address instead of my phone number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.