Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 ios8.0.2 AirDrop problems?

Hello,

I have an iPhone 6. I have updated to ios8.0.2. Recently over the weekend I just realized I am unable to AirDrop to my iphone 5 or my other friends iPhone 6 and 5 that were sitting next to me. I have tried to allow air-drop contacts to EVERYONE but I am still unable to air drop. The option to Air-Drop basically does not appear on my iphone 6.

I went ahead and tried to air drop on my iphone 5 and the option to air drop to my friends iphone 5 works just fine, but hte option to air drop to my iphone 6 is not appearing.

Please help.. thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 6:25 AM

Hello there, Coupee36.

The following Knowledge Base article provides great information in regards to AirDrop:

iOS: Use AirDrop to wirelessly share content

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5887

Make sure to review these settings are correct:

What you need

To share content with AirDrop, both users need one of these devices using iOS 7:

• iPhone 5 or later
  • iPad (4th generation)
  • iPad mini
  • iPod touch (5th generation)

You also need to turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. And if you want to share with your contacts, sign in to your iCloud account.

If you are still unable to use AirDrop, you may want to close all apps running on both iOS devices by using this article:

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

Once that is complete, then try resetting your device as well:

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2014 6:25 AM in response to Coupee36

Hello there, Coupee36.

The following Knowledge Base article provides great information in regards to AirDrop:

iOS: Use AirDrop to wirelessly share content

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5887

Make sure to review these settings are correct:

What you need

To share content with AirDrop, both users need one of these devices using iOS 7:

• iPhone 5 or later
  • iPad (4th generation)
  • iPad mini
  • iPod touch (5th generation)

You also need to turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. And if you want to share with your contacts, sign in to your iCloud account.

If you are still unable to use AirDrop, you may want to close all apps running on both iOS devices by using this article:

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

Once that is complete, then try resetting your device as well:

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Oct 2, 2014 2:54 PM in response to Coupee36

To everyone that has become frustrated with the loss/failure of Airdrop after the ios8 8.0.2 update, I believe I may have the solution. Backup your iPhone and completely wipe it clean (factory). When setting up the iPhone, set it up as a new iPhone (dont use backup). The backup is there in the event that this method does not restore full functionality (Airdrop etc) allowing you to restore your iphone to its original state. After setting up phone with your Apple ID, test the Airdrop functionality and if successful, your apps will have to be downloaded manually. In the event that it is not successful then erase iphone and use backup to restore.

I Hope this method helps as I spent countless hours trying to figure out why I was unable to use this function.

Oct 8, 2014 7:27 AM in response to Coupee36

Hi There,

I had this problem too with my iPhone 6 and I might just have found out how to fix it without wiping your phone.

With my problem, I was not able to see anyone to airdrop with but my other friends were able to see me on their devices.

What I did is just had them airdrop any file to me and once I received the file I was able to get airdrop working on my phone and send them files.

Hope this works for you too!

John

Oct 20, 2014 3:53 AM in response to tobyw7

Same here.. Not able to share photos from phone, to my mac. From mac to phone is fine. First of all I had display issues in Finder, with my 'icon' in Frinder > Airdrop having no picture and the description/text under the icon was my secondary email address attached to my iCloud account, which was strange. That secondary email address never shows up anywhere else related to my iCloud account and I had forgotten it was even there. I removed the secondary email address from my account and now my full name and device type is instead shown in Finder > AirDrop which, so that 'display' issue resolved. Try removing additional email addresses from you iCloud profile.. In terms of John's solution, it didn't work for me. I sent several files from my mac to my phone, but each time I try and 'share' from the iphone no AirDrop contacts show up at all. This is particularly frustrating as I had about 10 screenshots from the iPhone I wanted to attach to an email I was writing on the Mac, and Airdrop would have been super handy!!!! I also tried resetting the Privacy and Location settings on the iPhone and this did not help either.

Oct 24, 2014 6:43 AM in response to ItzAn808

I have a Macbook Air and an iMac 27' both purchased within last 12 months and should work with iPhone 6 plus.

I have been able to use Airdrop successfully in the past between the two computers but now after upgrading to Yosemite they will not find each other no matter what. Strangely, the Macbook Air finds the iPhone 6 Plus in the AirDrop window and I can send a Text file (RTF) to the iPhone 6 via Dropbox which works but the iPhone will not send anything back. iMac won't find either Macbook Air or iPhone 6.

Seems to me the Yosemite upgrade has some bugs which should be ironed out BUT only if you call them and make them aware of it.

THE APPLE TECHS DO NOT READ THESE POSTS... so call them on Applecare or call their shops, they will soon get the message and fix the bugs in they are aware of them. Otherwise, a great looking phone and OS, love all my Apple stuff and hope they fix it soon.

Oct 27, 2014 4:35 PM in response to alanfrombrisbane

so i just tried to pair my Iphone 6 plus to my iMac mid 2011 running Yosemite via bluetooth. Every time it said pair, then once i confirmed the numbers where the same it just said cannot pair.???? also i see in the airdrop "Get Info" it just spins saying FETCHING. As i write this i now cannot upload a photo to show everyone. WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON WITH THESE APPLE PRODUCTS??????? Love Apple so much but to have everything running as their keynotes show takes so much time and would be just as quick doing things the old way. Starting to bore me a lot and don't know if all this is worth it. Do Samsung users have problems like this?

Oct 27, 2014 4:50 PM in response to bardwell03

bardwell03 wrote:

so i just tried to pair my Iphone 6 plus to my iMac mid 2011 running Yosemite via bluetooth. Every time it said pair, then once i confirmed the numbers where the same it just said cannot pair.???? also i see in the airdrop "Get Info" it just spins saying FETCHING. As i write this i now cannot upload a photo to show everyone. WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON WITH THESE APPLE PRODUCTS??????? Love Apple so much but to have everything running as their keynotes show takes so much time and would be just as quick doing things the old way. Starting to bore me a lot and don't know if all this is worth it. Do Samsung users have problems like this?

According to article below mac has to be 2012 or later model in order to communicate with iphones. It only can airdrop with macs if made before 2012.

Mac Basics: AirDrop lets you send files from your Mac to nearby Macs and iOS devices

"Sending files to and from an older Mac

If a Mac you're using with AirDrop was manufactured before 2012, you can send and receive files with other Mac computers."

Dec 22, 2014 5:14 AM in response to bardwell03

BLUF: Zoomed setting on iPhone 6 Plus would not display "Accept or Decline" pop-up to initiate file transfer.

I hope this will help you out:

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini and an iPhone 6 Plus. My settings for Airdrop are set on "Everyone" and every time I tried to send a .mov file it showed "Waiting..." My phone would show up in the finder sometimes but when I initiated a file transfer I never got the "Accept or Decline" pop-up on my iPhone. I'd wait until my Mac Mini would finally report that my iPhone declined the file transfer. After a few times restarting both iPhone and Mac, I moved on to other things and started my research. What really frustrated me was that I had just transferred a 14GB GoPro movie yesterday on the 3rd attempt.

I was getting frustrated with my intermittent Airdrop success and happened to stumble upon another issue with a zoom setting on the iPhone 6 Plus. I changed my zoom back to standard and there was the pop-up "Accept or Decline" boxes!!! Weird enough as that sounds I was no longer on the same wifi network as my Mac. There are many other functions of apps on the iPhone 6 Plus that seem to be limited once this Zoom function is activated.

iPhone 6 ios8.0.2 AirDrop problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.