Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else having an issue with the Phone name disappearing?

Good day!

I have a personal iPhone 5 with the 8.0.2 software loaded... Ever since the last update, the phone name will not stay... This is the one under "General" and "About"... I've put it back several times, but once I power down the phone or just do a network reset, the name is gone again... Is anyone else having this issue? I'm asking because I also maintain a very large number of iPhones where I work, and we keep track of the phones through the names when they hook into our network... If this is an ongoing issue, I'll avoid doing the update as long as I can...

Thank you!

StormCat

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 3:58 PM

3 replies

Oct 2, 2014 7:07 AM in response to Witchy_Biker

Hello there, StormCat.

Any time you have issues where iOS is not functioning as expected, the following Knowledge Base offers up some great recommendations for troubleshooting:

iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3281

1. If a single application is not responding or stops responding when it opens, you can force it to close.
  2. If the device is unresponsive or if certain controls aren't working as expected, restart your device.
  3. If the device remains unresponsive or does not turn on (or power on), reset your device.
  4. If there is no video or if the screen remains black, verify that the device has enough charge to turn on:
    1. If you are using an iPad, ensure that it's connected to the USB Power Adapter supplied with the device.
    2. Let it charge for at least twenty minutes, then see if it starts normally.
    3. If there is no image on the screen, press the Sleep/Wake button to attempt to wake the device.
    4. If the screen displays a red battery icon, continue charging the device until the battery is fully charged. Learn more about charging iPhone and iPod touch, or iPad.
  5. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, or the if the screen remains black or shows a persistent Apple logo, try restoring with iTunes:
    1. Connect the device to your computer and open iTunes.
    2. If the device appears in iTunes, select and click Restore on the Summary pane. Learn more about restoring iOS software.
    3. If the device doesn't appear in iTunes, try to force the device into recovery mode, and then restore it.
  6. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, contact Apple.

Additionally, this article offers another method in which to name your iOS device:

Change the name of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3965

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Oct 2, 2014 7:50 AM in response to pedro d

Pedro,

I appreciate your reply, but it did not answer my question in the least... I'm very familiar with the iPhones and my question has to do with one minor aspect of the phone... Everything else on the phone is fine.. I'm simply asking if anyone else has had an issue with the name on the phone constantly resetting itself.. I've reset the name on the phone and through iTunes... Yet it continues to put itself back to the default "iPhone" name whenever the phone is reset or powered back on...

Thank you...

Anyone else having an issue with the Phone name disappearing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.