Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Children's IDs require a credit card?

I want to create "children's IDs" for my kids for family sharing on my apple ID. I do not have a credit card, and all my iTunes purchases have historically been through either PayPal, which appears no longer to be an option, or my Visa debit card. Is there any alternative means for confirming my status as an adult than a credit card?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 2:47 PM

8 replies

Oct 2, 2014 12:27 PM in response to VanoVano

@Jakeycov is completely wrong. According to: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht201079

Specifically under the Setting up Family Sharing section:

"When you set up Family Sharing, you'll be asked to confirm that you agree to pay for purchases initiated by the family members you invite and that you have a valid payment method on file. Valid payment methods for setting up Family Sharing include credit cards and debit cards. You can change the billing method on file in your account at any time in your iTunes & App Store account settings."

So you CAN use a debit or credit card to set up family sharing.

Oct 2, 2014 12:32 PM in response to jakeycov

And this was the point of my question. Annoying is an understatement. I was looking forward to using Child's IDs with Family Sharing to create a safe and secure way for my kids to participate. Now, I either get them adult IDs to use family sharing, or we simply do not use it. We do not have credit cards, having paid them off and closed them years ago.

This and the fact that it took me over an hour to get to a live person by calling Apple. And that person kept putting me on hold rather than simply telling me the answer you just gave me in less than 20 words.

Thank you both for replying.

Oct 2, 2014 12:35 PM in response to VanoVano

Quite annoying if you ask me. Im not sure why that is, and I apologize to Jakeycov, but according to that document a credit /debit card can be used. So its possible its just an error being that Family sharing is still SO new. But if not, that does suck and im sorry. :-/

Might I suggest using itunes allowance?

Since family sharing is not the right thing for you, this might be the next best thing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2105

HOpe that helps.

Children's IDs require a credit card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.