Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thumbnails in Aperture are Really Messed Up

Having a ton of trouble with both Aperture and iPhoto. The thumbnails in both products are showing up in a random mix/match of landscape and portrait shots, and random order. I've read the suggestions on this site, and have tried using both the Photos > Generate Thumbnails and Photos > Generate Preview features. Both temporarily fix the Thumbnails in the current view (ie the ones I can see), but as soon as I start to scroll, its back to a mess again.

User uploaded file

It seems the next step is to rebuild the database ... but what I don't understand is WHY Aperture would ever be in this condition in the first place? Rebuilding any database is not a small step to take. And its not clear this would even solve the problem. I mean, Aperture is worthless without a reliable thumbnail, so how is it possible for the product to show a thumbnail for one image when the actual image is something else. This is about as basic as it gets!

In other words, it feels like a really heinous bug in the product, that is likely to resurface if I continue doing whatever I did to get here in the first place.

Anybody have some suggestions/explanations on why it would behave this way, and how to *permanently* fix the problem? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 3:25 PM

1 reply

Sep 30, 2014 10:44 AM in response to Smitter

Try the following, in order:

Reboot.

Delete your Aperture User Preferences (commonly helps for UI snafus).

Repair your Library

Rebuild your Library

Revert to a backed up copy of your Library.

The middle three are standard Apple Aperture trouble-shooting steps. They are covered here.

If you wish to file a report with Apple, use "Aperture ▹ Provide Aperture Feedback".

These things happen. The OS X environment is very complex. I would fix it and forget it. If the problem returns, you could start trying to trouble-shoot. Trouble-shooting is laborious.

I have never had any problems with Repair Library or with Rebuild Library.

As with all computer files, you should never use one without having a complete back-up.

Are you using a second or third monitor? Do you use any non-Apple display devices?

Thumbnails in Aperture are Really Messed Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.