Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thumbnails in iOS 8 Photos are blank after Restore from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 Plus

I had an iPhone 5 running iOS 8.0 with about 2,000 photos. I never used/had iPhoto. After I restored the backup to my new iPhone 6 Plus, many (guessing at 100-300) of the photos show as blank thumbnails. When I click the thumbnail I see the photo zoom in then it disappears and the screen is white. When I click back I see the photo zoom out to the thumbnails and then the thumbnail is blank again. If I open the thumbnail and click Edit I can see the picture with the edit tools and the option to Revert is always available. If I click Revert and confirm, the picture doesn't seem to have changed but the thumbnail appears correctly. I've successfully fixed about 50 of my photos doing this. I've upgraded to 8.0.2, turned off/on iCloud Photo Sharing and iCloud Photo Stream but nothing except the "Revert" has been able to fix these photos. Besides doing a sync and restore, is there anything else I can try to do? I would like to fix all the photos at once.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 2:41 AM

Exactly the same problem.

The crazy thing is that you can see the pictures through "photo transfert" from the Mac, but thumbnails are totally missing on lots of pictures.
Is there a solution without re-doing a resync/restore ??

12 replies

Oct 3, 2014 8:05 AM in response to bgl_iMac

When ever an app misbehaves a first thing to try is to quit the app then reset the device. To quit an app double click the Home button to reveal the row of recently used apps. Flick up on the page preview and it will fly away and disappear. That quits the app. Then press and hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Then release the buttons and let the device restart. No data will be lost doing this. It's like rebooting a computer.

Oct 3, 2014 12:16 PM in response to theonlycutmaster

theonlycutmaster wrote:

Thanks Ralph. For sure already tried this 😉 (and I'm sure bgl_iMac does also) but doesn't change. Seems this is a bug in iOS8 with Photos store with pre-applied filters.

WHen asking a question in these forum it saves time and is more helpful if you describe those troubleshooting steps you have already taken. Since you didn't mention the reset in your original post I provided the first troubleshooting step that seemed appropriate.

Jun 11, 2015 9:23 AM in response to bgl_iMac

I had the exact same problem with my wife's new iPhone 6 after restoring from an iPhone 5 backup via iCloud.

Combining the suggestions of a couple of posts, here's what definitively fixed the problem:

1. Download a program like iExplorer (https://www.macroplant.com/) for your Mac/PC that will let you get at the iPhone's file system. You'll need to have iTunes on that computer. FYI this all works fine using iExplorer's free "Demo" mode.

2. Start iTunes, Connect the phone to the computer and make sure you grant access when it asks for it on the phone.

3. On the iPhone, kill the Photos app (double tap the home button and swipe the Photos app up). I also killed all other running apps for good measure.

4. Run iExplorer on your Mac/PC. The folder we need is listed under "Media" and it's called PhotoData.

5. Delete the following files from the PhotoData folder:

• com.apple.photos.caches_metadata.plist
  • PhotosAux.sqlite
  • All other files that start with "Photos.sqlite". Other people have said to just delete Photos.sqlite but this didn't do the trick for me.

6. Give the iPhone a hard reboot (switch the mute button off then on, then hold the home and lock buttons until the apple logo appears).

After I did this and the phone rebooted, the next time I started the Photos app all of the thumbnails were magically restored 🙂

Thumbnails in iOS 8 Photos are blank after Restore from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.