Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent Touch Screen Issues 6 Plus

Hello, I have an iPhone 6 Plus that is updated to 8.0.2. Intermittently, the touch screen stops working in landscape mode, but can be fixed usually by rotating the phone either right side up or in the reverse landscape position. I've tried restoring the phone, but still no avail.

I was wondering how many others / if anyone else was experiencing this, to see if it's worth me exchanging my phone or waiting for a software fix. Judging by my knowledge, it seems more like a software issue, but I can't be 100% sure.

Any thoughts?

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 5:20 PM

16 replies

Oct 8, 2014 11:34 AM in response to Tom Schelling

I have the same issue on iPhone 6 Plus. It happens sporadically and screen becomes uncontrollable, both in portrait and landcape modes.

Doesnt recognize touch or touches somewhere else. Have tried restarting phone, factory resetting, upgrading to ios8.02... nothing worked.

I have informed apple and didnt seem like a known issue but they labeled the problem "Parpadeo/intermitencia" (blinking/intermittence). They adviced me to return it because im still on the returning period. I have returned the device and seller said he has to check with apple before replacing it.

Waiting for a quick solution... 800€ phone...!!

Oct 8, 2014 2:38 PM in response to Tom Schelling

I Also have this issue. Rarely in the way you stated. Most of my trouble comes from the lock screen. When I'm trying to access my camera or the widget thing, there is no response from the screen.

Ive found that double clicking the home butting is the only thibgbthat brings it back to life.

LOng story shirt, iOS 8 is a peice of garbage. they clearly did not fo the noal round of beta testing on this version.

TMathis is only one of the many problems I've had.

Oct 13, 2014 12:55 PM in response to rdlf

I have the same exact issue you're having...

Touchscreen works great at times, and at other times, it simply doesn't work.

Frustrating, especially in the browser.

iPhone 6 Plus

iOS 8.0.2 and 8.1 Beta 2.

Someone from Apple needs to have an official response to this problem.

I've already tested the touchscreen using the MAPS app as Apple suggested.

Doesn't help with an intermittent problem. Although it has become more frequent as of late.

Nov 4, 2014 5:00 AM in response to Tom Schelling

I have the same problem. The screen, in my case, at times not respond as expected, especially at the bottom, near the start button. For example if I press the C key brand inmdiatamente Cv, by attempting to focus more on the letter C mara C and V immediately. At other times it will not let me move the display icons correctly, as there is a part that is not responding.

Yesterday I spoke with Apple support and they told me that the proble is hardware, you drive to an Apple Store to replace me.

Nov 20, 2014 10:47 PM in response to MonkeyesMan

iPhone 6 Plus

Issue resolved:

I went to my local Apple Store around Nov 1st. They thought it was probably software related. So I went home wiped and reloaded my 6p. Over the next 3 weeks, I wiped and reloaded my phone several times and went through several iterations of adding an app, deleting an app trying to locate what software was causing my issue. Over this period of time, I noticed the longer the phone was on, the worse the issue became. This was especially noticeable because the lines on the left side of the screen would start to show up. I went back to the Apple Store and explained what all I had tried and lucky enough for me, the phone acted up in the store (I used the GPS so the phone would heat up on the way there, hoping this would happen). They swapped my phone out and so far, for the last 3 days with heavy usage, no issues of any kind.

Recap - It was a hardware issue and Apple swapped my phone out to solve the problem.

Jan 15, 2015 11:39 AM in response to Tom Schelling

My 6 plus is only six weeks old and I have this problem very very annoying they told me to take it to Apple Store because they tested it and it does have a hardwear problem witch is 1 and a half hours away

and they are fully booked for 6 days realy not happy about this we pay a lot of money for these phones we shouldn't have to go through all this

looks like I will be paying for a phone I can't use for the next week.

Jan 15, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Danjwright

Danjwright wrote:

My 6 plus is only six weeks old and I have this problem very very annoying they told me to take it to Apple Store because they tested it and it does have a hardwear problem witch is 1 and a half hours away

and they are fully booked for 6 days realy not happy about this we pay a lot of money for these phones we shouldn't have to go through all this

looks like I will be paying for a phone I can't use for the next week.

And did you consider the mail-in options? You can ship the iPhone to Apple (after setting up the service online or by calling Apple). Either you ship it first and they ship you a replacement (about 5 business days on average turnaround time total) or you opt for Express Replacement, which gets you a replacement first before you send in your current device. That takes about 2 business days, but requires a $29 shipping fee and a temporary hold on a credit card.

Contact Apple Support for more details on these mail-in options. 1-800-MYAPPLE.

Jul 6, 2016 7:52 AM in response to rdlf

I have had this same issue with my iPhone 6. I tolerated it for months. I couldn't deal with it after the phone started selecting random destinations in google maps!

The phone would go unresponsive to touch, so I would lock it and start over until the problem happened again.

The problem seemed especially bad when composing a message. I had to act quick or my friends would get a message from me reading: b. B. bbb.b .

or other nonsense.

When I needed the phone, it could be unbearably frustrating.

Fixes I tried:

Updating iOS

resetting all settings (worked sometimes)

The problem would be really bad and then work tolerably... I put up with for too long and finally scheduled a genius bar service.

Then..... I looked again at my storage and asked myself the question, "Did this start when my storage became nearly full?..."

The answer is yes! I purged all of my photos, figured out how to get rid of the nearly 3 gigs stored in messages...

And voila! My phone works great again!

I could tell nearly instantly that the "feel" was back in my phone and it seemed more responsive than it had it months.

I'm tallying any goof-ups and so far, I've only had a brief freeze when deleting old voicemail messages, but that made sense and was fine again in a moment.

I looked everywhere for advice on how to fix this issue, but the obvious answer was right there.

The 16 gig iPhone 6 just has inadequate storage, especially if messages are stored "forever"

I've freed up 5 gigs on my phone and it seems to be working like new!

Intermittent Touch Screen Issues 6 Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.