Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is everything on flash storage for my mac?

Ok so I wanted to change the name of the home directory. And to do so, I went to

>system preferences
>users & groups

>right clicked on current user that was admin

>edited the "account name" field

>edited the "home directory" to match the new account name

What pops up after I pressed ok was something that read: "Are you sure you want to change the path to home folder of user "old name" to /Users/NewName?" If this path doesn't match the actual location of the user's home folder, the user will not be able to log in to this computer."

So I then pressed ok and it asked me to restart my computer. Upon restarting it, I was prompted to put in my apple id as if i just bought a new mac. So anyways, after logging in with my old password without any problems.. i am brought to my desktop that looks like a newly bought mac book pro desktop.

Everything on my computer was gone. However, when I click on the top left apple sign and click "about this mac" then "more info", I see that my mac's storage hasn't been reset, it STILL has all my old stuff thank god (106 GB in use). But I can't seem to find any of these files on my mac. My finder is practically empty!

I want to know where all this stuff is stored and how I can access it. Should I just change the directory name back to what it was before I made all these changes?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 5:32 PM

5 replies

Sep 29, 2014 6:40 PM in response to Niel

Dragging stuff from the old account to the new account will have issues, as the old account will have a different User ID associated with every file.

It would be best if the /Users/oldUsername was renamed to the newUsername. fs1700 will need to be an admin to do this.

Finder -> Go -> Go to folder -> /Users

In the future changing the account information without also doing the change to the file system is what caused this problem.

OS X: How to change your account name or home directory name

Where is everything on flash storage for my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.