Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSync hanging - can't get into the Sync preferences window....

iSync is acting strange. 45 sec of pinwheel when I try to open iSync preferences - after I finally get the .mac member window and click on the "Sync" tab it hangs.

Actually, only two of the 4 tabs here work. "Account" and "iDisk" tabs work the "Sync" and "Advanced" tabs darken but don't open a new window.

20" Intel Imac, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Sep 22, 2006 4:52 PM

21 replies

Sep 22, 2006 11:11 PM in response to skippyripshit

I have the exact same problem. Isync is disabled and the syn and advanced tabs are darkened and cannot be selected. If I go to Calendar or address book it asks that I turn on Syn in the .mac pref pane but when I am redirected there the sync and advanced tabs just darken (I can input my user name and password).

I have unregistered my computer from .Mac and reset all of the information on .Mac. I have deleted, locally on my computer, preferences for iSync as suggested in other threads.

I am sick and tired of trying to make technologies work, that once did work a few days ago. And I have no help from Apple, even though there are about a dozen posts for this problem in this forum alone.

Hello Cupertino anyone home?

Sep 23, 2006 7:34 PM in response to skippyripshit

Same thing here. And the Sync icon normally present at the top of my screen near the clock keeps becoming disabled. It's been a problem on my iBook G3 for at least the past several weeks. Makes me a little upset that I just paid $100 to renew for a year for a service that isn't working very well. And for that $100 we don't get any .mac support. Just have to keep checking the discussion boards and hope for the best.

Oct 3, 2006 8:21 PM in response to skippyripshit

2 weeks later, no progress on this problem. Several seemingly random suggestions from apple tech dept. with no resolution. Tried new user accounts, new .mac accounts, new isp's, new networks... nothing helps.

Anybody else have any luck? I'd love to hear...

meanwhile... I wonder if I can use my ipod or my iDisk to move my calendar, bookmarks, and address book back and forth from my home computer to my work computer... Any ideas? By the way, my iDisk works fine. No trouble there...

Oct 25, 2006 6:11 AM in response to skippyripshit

Hi guys,

Same here, isync starts, does nothing and says syncing not enable, pref are not accessible and with two users on the same system. I also have syncserver crashing very frequently and many of the widgets related to iCal are not working. I have tried everything discussed here without any result.

I have tried syncing and the rest on a fresh user and it seems to be working fine. So it must be somating that is corrupted in that user account as I have tried restoring these users on a fresh system and all the errors occured again.

G4 MDD 1.45 Mac OS X (10.4.8) 223 Gig Raid 0 2 Gig Ram Bluetooth Aiport Extreme

Oct 25, 2006 1:56 PM in response to Athanagor

Looks like i have join the long line of people having problems with ISync. I try to start it up and it does nothing. If i try to sync devices it says "synchronization is not enabled on this computer. You need to turn on synchronization in isync preferences before you can synchronize any information." The problem is that the preferences are unaccesible.

Oct 28, 2006 6:19 AM in response to skippyripshit

I spent hours and hours with iSync without success. I was frustrated and stumped. Now I am satisfied that I have located a solution with a good working download of all my contacts without th problems of iSync.

Open the address book help, enter Bluetooth in the search box and you will find the explication how to send informations directly from your address book to your phone. It‘s so simple and it works perfectly! I transfered 185 contacts with all phone numbers, e-mail and home page adresses in a few seconds, much faster as iSync could do.

Of couse you can‘t synchronize the contacts, but I think a great number of Mac users would be happy to download theirs contacts to the phone without syncing. I forgot iSync and I am happy too!

Greetings from Switzerland
Robert

Oct 28, 2006 9:43 AM in response to skippyripshit

Same here. iSync is working fine on my MacBook Pro, but on my wife's MacBook it stopped working a couple of weeks ago and I can't even get it to open up, just keeps jumping in the dock for awhile and then is stuck. I tried installing an older version of iSync, then re-updating to OSX to 10.4.8, but nothing has worked. Any one else have any solutions? My wife really needs to be able to sync her palm!

Nov 19, 2006 10:12 PM in response to Stuart Scadron-Wattles

Yes, yes, thank you! You ought to work for Apple!
Only I also deleted my dot mac synch plist, the isync registry plist as well as the isync plist. Then I ran Disk Utility and restarted my computer, and Voila, there was iSynch back in all its glory.
I wonder why all of us have had trouble with isync crashing or getting itself out of sorts. Could it be an insidious virus or corrupt software?
Thanks Again
Donna

I have solved the problem, by FIRST trashing the
ISync preferences file:
user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.isync.plist
THEN re-launching ISync.
After your problem has been solved, I strongly
suggest quitting all your programs, launching Disk
Utility, and repairing your disk
permissions.

12"
PowerBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.8)

iMac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.8) also iBook (older) and Palm Zire

Nov 20, 2006 12:42 PM in response to skippyripshit

guess I need to join the iSyncsupportsucks club aswell.

I've sought help with isync issues for almost 2 years and never got a reponse so while I'm still scratching around looking for an accidental solution, I'm just gonna chime in dissent in the ranks. Maybe if I just say "skippyripshit" 3 times quickly, I'll be granted a wish and cast it over apple to support the hands that feed them a little better. (cool name anyway.)

Incidentally, I've had the experience in the past where hot unsolvable issues have vanished off the forum (old G5 modem issues anyone). One can become an aging conspiracy theorist quickly trying to solve these problems alone.

PowerBook G4 1.67GHz / 1.5GB Mac OS X (10.4.7) I miss my Newton

iSync hanging - can't get into the Sync preferences window....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.