Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 low volume when on call

I just got my new iPhone 6. I am having problem of low volume when on a call. Cant hear clearly. What to do?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2017 11:09 AM

How stupid can we be??

I didn't remove the 'x#% stupid plastic film cover off the top speaker!!!

I could only hear when I used the speaker on calls.

Apple's techs are not too bright either.

I called and they had no idea either.

Cut back the top speaker hole on the top front of the iPhone until you buy a phone case.

Ugh...

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2017 11:09 AM in response to zackniaz

How stupid can we be??

I didn't remove the 'x#% stupid plastic film cover off the top speaker!!!

I could only hear when I used the speaker on calls.

Apple's techs are not too bright either.

I called and they had no idea either.

Cut back the top speaker hole on the top front of the iPhone until you buy a phone case.

Ugh...

Mar 18, 2017 9:24 AM in response to zackniaz

I had the same problem with 3 iphones........... replacements...

I worked it out myself, what you need to do is put it under a running tap, Yes you heard me.. (allow the water fall to maintain bobbled fall) directly onto the earpiece (30 cm of fall will give an affective cleaning effect) and help clean the screen that has become blocked with dust mixed with humidity (sweat) with a toothbrush... (obviously, do not submerge the phone in water)

Repeat this three times and then use a concentration of airflow to dry the ear speaker opening. (Canned CO2 works well) Obviously, don't use High Pressure...

May 19, 2017 4:43 PM in response to Kathystan6510

Hay There,

I had this issue from past 3 months,I never really noticed but last couple of weeks the volume kept really low.

Since I cannot see your phone settings i cannot give you the software resolution but what I did was really simple.

Just take a clean Q tip and rub the speaker grill thoroughly(please do not apply more pressure) Use alcohol if required but ensure that phone is turned off. This has helped couple of my friends too. Sounds silly but works like a charm.

Over the time the speaker grill clogs up with dust and lint. This is a work around for best results take the phone to the istore get the device cleaned.

Jun 27, 2017 1:30 PM in response to zackniaz

I know the question has long since been resolved. But I had the same issue with not being able to hear when making and receiving phone calls unless I put the phone on speaker with my iPhone 6s Plus. And tried to fix the problem myself and ended up voiding the warranty because I damaged the ports on the bottom and it cost me $150 via my phone insurance with Asurion. So if anyone has this issue I'd highly recommend calling your phone carrier and see if it can be replaced under warranty instead of trying to fix yourself.

Sep 27, 2017 8:28 PM in response to zackniaz

I just fixed that problem on my iPhone 6s Plus. I found a solution on another thread saying that I needed to clean my earpiece. So I did it and it worked! I turned off my iPhone and cleaned the earpiece hole with some alcohol and tissue (digging into it but not too hard). Once I turned it back on, I was working fine! Maybe your earpiece is filled with dust like mines!

Oct 14, 2017 11:45 AM in response to zackniaz

Same issue, solved successfully 😁

Iv been using my iPhone 6 plus for almost 3 years when sudey had the same problem thevoice from the receiver is so weak !

Tried everything in the settings and nothing helped

until i took small piece of duct tape and just fix it gently on receiver surface itself and pluck it

Do it 10 times, each time try to scrub gently on the receiver surface and then pluck the duct tape strongly from the receiver

DONT USE A GLUEY KIND OF DUCT TAPE !

DONT PUSH TOO HARD ON THE RECEIVER SURFACE WHEN SCRUBING THE TAPE !

Oct 2, 2014 7:52 AM in response to zackniaz

Hello zackniaz,

If the receiver on your iPhone is low, check out the steps below to see if you can get it sorted out.

iPhone: Receiver and call audio quality issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5196

Follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Increase the volume during the call.
  2. Make sure nothing is blocking the receiver. If you're using a protective case or display film, remove it and try again.
  3. Make sure nothing is plugged into the headphone jack or the dock connector.
  4. Check the receiver opening to see if it is clogged with debris. If necessary, clean it with a clean, small, dry, soft-bristled brush.
  5. Try another location with better signal. If the audio issue happens only when on a call, it could be due to the location.
  6. If the iPhone is paired with a Bluetooth headset or a car kit, try turning off Bluetooth on your device. Learn more about troubleshooting Bluetooth connections.
  7. Restart the iPhone.
  8. Make sure your device is up to date.
  9. If the issue is not resolved, contact Apple Support.

Regards,

-Norm G.

Oct 11, 2014 1:32 PM in response to zackniaz

I've had my iPhone 6 for 2 days and experienced the same problem. A few minor things made a big difference:

1 - I turned on the Hearing Aid Mode. Look for it in Settings > General > Accessibility > Hearing Aids (bottom of screen). I don't have a Blue Tooth-enabled device, but just changing it to Hearing Aid Mode made a big difference in volume.

2 - Yes, I had to hold the receiver end of the phone •at• my ear. Yes, I realize that sounds ridiculous, but I was accustomed to holding the smaller 4s closer to my mouth.

I hope this helps.

iPhone 6 low volume when on call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.