Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About the ios8, family share, and credit card info.

Ok well I love the idea of family share and the IOS8 idea, but I didn't like the idea of putting a credit card info into this family share and thing why can't it work with just a gift card. It's about the same thing isn't it. Its like if the gift card gets to the point where the user needs funds why can't we have that option. I mean I'm an Apple Fan and honestly the gift card or credit card is the same idea the company is not losing any money and well. I feel that the customers should have an option to how they would like to make payments. please respond to this if anybody can tell me why we can't have that option. Thank You.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 7:08 PM

9 replies

Sep 29, 2014 7:20 PM in response to j-bklyn1320

Read Family purchases and payments carefully about payment methods. A credit card or debit card are noted as primary methods but gift cards can also be used. Using a credit card insures there will be a payment path even if multiple members purchase at the same time. If only a gift card was the payment method chosen, the group could exceed its value without providing sufficient funds for payment.

Sep 29, 2014 7:41 PM in response to j-bklyn1320

If there is credit card information, exceeding the value of a gift card just means the credit card is then charged. If multiple family members tried to purchase at the same time and there was only gift card credit in the account they could get caught in a billing problem if the system didn't keep up with the charges fast enough. Requiring a billing channel that is not based on a fixed value is just a way to make sure funds are available for all family members.

And the Ask to Buy restriction is a way to keep underage members from buying without controls.

About the ios8, family share, and credit card info.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.