Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera app freezes when moving iPhone 4s after upgrading to iOS 8

Hi,

After upgrading my 4s to iOS 8.0.2 (I updated directly to 8.0.2 from iOS 7), after launching the camera app and moving the phone the camera freezes for a few seconds and then it works again.

I have restarted the phone and I don't know what else to do.

My camera was working fine when i was still on iOS 7.

Anybody else facing similar problems, if so, have you found a solution yet. thanks

iPhone 4S, iOS 8, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 10:45 PM

18 replies

Sep 30, 2014 7:51 AM in response to iOperatingSystem

I have the EXACT same issue on my wife's 64GB iphone 4S. I took it to the Apple Store in Roosevelt Field, NY and the genius said there is nothing they can do. They said it was my fault for downloading iOS 8 and that the software brought to life a hardware problem that is not covered under warranty. He said that I was not required to upgrade to iOS8 and wanted me to pay $199 for a replacement.

So Apple wants me to pay to resolve an issue THEY caused. I hate Apple now. The iphone 4S worked perfectly under iOS 7.

Thanks Apple for the worst customer service experience ever. You've proven that when you have a product that everyone wants you can afford to treat your customers like ****.

Oct 7, 2014 1:46 AM in response to iOperatingSystem

Both my dad and my mom have an iPhone 4S. My fathers phone shows this problem after updating to iOS 8, but my moms doesn't. My dad want to the Apple store in Haarlem (Netherlands). They said it's a hardware problem. Yeah right! With iOS 7 it worked flawless! I have been an Apple user for years and most of the time the service is great, but this is very disappointing. A shame!

Nov 22, 2014 1:54 PM in response to iOperatingSystem

Same Problem here. Iphone 4S 16 GB. Worked fine until updated to iOS 8.

Thought it was a Hardware problem (I recently replaced the Power Button, so I thought it was a loose contact or faulty camera cable),

I replaced the Camera Module with a new one. EXACTLY THE SAME THING! It is NOT a Hardware Issue!

Guess that is clear now, after this discussion.

Thanks Apple...

Nov 22, 2014 11:35 PM in response to iOperatingSystem

Have the same issue on my iphone 4s as well (camera freezes when focusing away; but is ok when focusing on myself for Facetime etc.). Just loaded iOS 8.1.1 as Apple had said that it will improve performance of the iphone 4s... Unfortunately, no such luck!

Looks like all Apple is interested in is folks buying new phones after each software release!

Please help...

Dec 16, 2014 4:54 PM in response to iOperatingSystem

Same issue here even at 8.1.2!

Wife's 4S 16GB white carrier locked - camera working!

My 4S 16GB black neverlocked - camera freezing!

I agree it MIGHT be a hardware issue, but IF it is, it's Apples fault for putting ****** components in A LOT of 4S's!
Anyway, since everything worked until iOS8, I'm guessing the issue could be fixed via update... Apple only has to WANT to fix it...

Dec 26, 2014 4:40 AM in response to grikster

Its not hitting every iphone 4S, i own another one and no problem with 8.1.1 or 8.1.2.

The one with 64 Gb as this problem, camera freezes completely.

Its not hardware, this is far to common, this topic says that. Its a software glitch, and i cant correct it, i was fine with iOS7. This is unacceptable, its Apple own fault.

We just ended up with a old phone with no camera, Apple FIX THIS Please !

iOS8 needs to step up the game, recruit new Programmers, new Beta Testers, you have tons of money just sitting and doing nothing

Jan 23, 2015 1:05 PM in response to grikster

I updated to 8.1.2. wifi, battery and every other thing is ok apart from my camera which does not work. Anytime I launch it from the home screen, it shows blank screen, but it works perfectly if I launch it from Game Center, Viber and even WhatsApp. Do any of you having this same problem and how do I solve it? Please advise.

Camera app freezes when moving iPhone 4s after upgrading to iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.