Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much does it cost to have ram upgraded at the Apple Store for 21" iMac?

I have already purchased ram, but noticed it is not user upgradable.

How much does it cost to get the upgrade done at the Apple Store?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 9:49 PM

8 replies

Sep 29, 2014 9:51 PM in response to steellogic

If it's a 2012 or 2013 machine Apple will not do it for you, perhaps you can find an AASP willing to do it for you though. If the machine is from before 2012 then you can do it yourself with a simple screwdriver and nothing else. Buy the RAM from a reputable place such as Crucial or OWC (www.macsales.com) and follow the instructions in the owners manual. For prices on the 2012/13 machines locate an AASP in your area and ask.

Sep 29, 2014 10:07 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

I apologize, I was not trying to come off as arguing. I appreciate the fast responses to my question. I just assumed it was done at apple store because of what was said on the memory upgrade page. That is I'll I meant, not trying to be argumentative. I'll try calling the store tomorrow to confirm if it is offered and get a price if they offer that service. I'll add a post on here for anyone else in a similar situation.

Sep 29, 2014 10:19 PM in response to steellogic

Hello steellogic,

I do not believe the RAM is soldered to the logic board in the newer slimline 21 inch screen iMacs.

It is a matter of breaking the glued up seal of the iMac's case to gain access to the iMac's innards that is the real issue/complication.

If your 21 inch screen iMac is one of the newer slimline models, Apple wiil NOT install third party RAM.

If your iMac is still under AppleCare, then an Apple Store maybe able to install Apple Branded RAM into your iMac ( at considerably more cost).

By letting Apple or an Apple Authorised reseller/service center install the RAM, you won't void your extended AppleCare, if you have this.

If you have RAM installed by Apple at an Apple Store, You would need to return the third party RAM you just purchased for a full refund.

You can keep this RAM and maybe an Apple Authorised reseller/repair center maybe able to install your third party RAM at, possibly, a lower cost to install.

SInce it is being done by an Apple Aurhorised repair center, this shouldn't void any extended AppleCare you may still have on your iMac, either.

If no extended AppleCare, you can only have an Apple Authorised reseller/service center install your third party RAM for you, at cost.

OR, if you no longer have AppleCare, you can try and install this RAM, yourself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Tuq373wPs

Sep 30, 2014 8:27 AM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for the detailed reply. I checked with 3 apple stores in my area. 2 said no, 1 said yes, but only with Apple ram, which costs 3 times the price + the hourly labor rate. So some mixed messages from Apple. I tried an apple authorized repair centre and they said they could do it, but there would still be a hefty labor charge, they said about $300, despite it having applecare. So, for now I will probably hold off.

I did see the OWC video. It is a very good tutorial. Very clear and detailed. Not ready to go to that length yet. But, maybe down the line.

How much does it cost to have ram upgraded at the Apple Store for 21" iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.