Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to prevent music app from automatically playing in car via Bluetooth?

Hello, an issue that has bugged me for several years... Was hoping iOS 8 would have a fix, but sigh... no....

Every time I connect to my car via bluetooth, the music app automatically launches and begins playing... Every time I end a phone conversation in my car the music app automatically launches and begins playing...

I know this is a seemingly small issue in the scheme of things, but it's extremely frustrating to have to unlock my iphone while driving and navigate to the music app and stop this from happening multiple times every time i connect via bluetooth. Any advice? Apple?

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 9:04 AM

Select a different mode on the car audio system. AM/FM, CD, etc.

Turn off the car audio system.

13 replies

Sep 30, 2014 12:36 PM in response to stedman1

For me (and apparently many others,) it happens whenever connected in the car to X-Drive (BMW's system,) via bluetooth or audio cable... Connect to system, music automatically starts. End a Siri inquiry, music starts. End a phone call, music starts...

Thought the issue was BMW specific, until I tried in a friends Nissan and had same issue... quite annoying... Oh well, first world problem, I suppose...

Found this thread, but still no solution... Apple? iTunes automatically starts playing when iPhone 5 (w iOS 7.0.2) is connected to car radio via an Apple cable

Oct 3, 2014 11:22 AM in response to solsun

Why are there never solutions to this kind of problem? It is SO frustrating to find a discussion thread full of nothing but "I have the same problem" entries from users and no solution, suggested fix or acknowledgement from the vendor that they are aware of the problem.

Yes, I have had the same problem with my iPhone 4 and now (ugh!) with my iPhone 5, so it's not a faulty device. In my case I had Apple protection and called support who said they'd never heard of such a problem (which, based on the discussion threads I've seen dating back to 2012 for this problem, is utter nonsense). They had me wipe the phone and re-install all my apps and music from scratch, which sounded reasonable. I do not have any 3rd party music player - just the iTunes that comes with the iOS. The only 3rd party device I integrated it with was a plantronics bluetooth earbud. I specifically did not pair it with my car or any other devices (I suspected my car's Bluetooth might have set up this behavior and wanted to eliminate it as a possible root cause). That worked for a while but. after a few weeks, the problem came back again, so other than a plantronics earbud, everything was pure Apple on the device.

I got a phone call during a meeting the other day, answered it, hung up and suddenly music started blaring - I got a nasty glare from my VP who was not amused at everyone else's laughing as I scrambled to silence it. The iPhone also sometimes starts randomly making outside calls. This is an iOS bug, pure and simple. It's irritating enough I considered removing iTunes but that won't solve the random outbound calling issue. There is nothing I can find on Apple's or anyone's websites that acknowledge this is a problem other than iPhone owners complaining about it and begging for a fix.

Apple - I'm at the end of my rope on this - why on earth are you behaving like Microsoft? I thought you were supposed to be better than this...

May 26, 2015 2:32 AM in response to Jklandes

jklandes, you are so right about threads like this being full of people saying they have the same problem but no posts offering a real solution. And I have this problem too! It's not with a radio, but with a Plantronics Voyager Legend headset. Very annoying. I turned my radio to USB so it would not play anything from the iphone via Bluetooth. Then some time later when I put the headset on to make a call, there's the music playing by itself wasting my battery and requiring me to stop it before being able to make my call. APPLE!!

Sep 24, 2015 3:14 PM in response to solsun

Really, still no answer in this forum? I've been sporadically looking for an answer, never found it before, today I'm trying again after a few months... Still nothing. This is indeed an annoying thing, every time I start my Honda CRV 2013, Depeche Mode start playing. Or, if I talk on the phone via bluetooth and hang up, Depeche Mode start blasting. All I ever purchased thru iTunes were 4 Depeche Mode songs. I used to love Depeche Mode. Now I hate them, I can't stand them, they haunt me. I can't turn the auto feature off, I can't delete the 4 songs from my iPhone, they are after me every time I start my car!!! I don't want to hear Depeche Mode ever again! I'm frustrated, I'm getting off work in one hour. I'll start my car and... DEPECHE MODE WILL BE THERE!!! How do I stop this terror or the mind? Apple, please help us here.

Nov 10, 2015 3:29 PM in response to cookiecat73

I have this same problem and, frankly, I'm completely surprised this appears to be addressed neither by car manufacturers or Apple (I observe the same problem in both VWs and Dodge vehicles).

My only solution was to completely delete all music off my iPhone. That's a bit nuclear, but I value the safety of not having music unexpectedly blast in my vehicle over the convenience of carrying music around on my phone.

How to prevent music app from automatically playing in car via Bluetooth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.